PDA

View Full Version : 7age cam timing

Daz32
16th May 2010, 02:57 PM
hey i been trying to get my 7age going well its going it will idle fine but im having dramas getting the cam timing right its running 304 8.1 lift in and 288 8.1 exh cams was jsut wondering weather any one on here has had similar dramas i didnt install the cams the motor was bought from japan as a short motor so it had run before but i have now played with the adj cam gears and have had no joy. i have been looking down the degree wheel road but i have never done it before and would have to buy all the shit so if any one has any idea's or points or could come help me out that would be great

Thanks Daz

Sam-Q
16th May 2010, 03:58 PM
ok really stupid and ignorant question, how do you know it's out right now?

BTW thats a really strange grind

SHADOW KNIGHT
16th May 2010, 05:49 PM
Hey mate i also have a 7age with 304 and 288 cams once i found out my cams where toda i emailed them they sent me a spec sheet dialed my cams into there specs and no problems.
Hope this could be of help.

Delazy
16th May 2010, 06:00 PM
Hey mate i also have a 7age with 304 and 288 cams once i found out my cams where toda i emailed them they sent me a spec sheet dialed my cams into there specs and no problems.
Hope this could be of help.

can guarentee your cam timing is wrong..and your lacking quite abit of potential power in doing so...

the extra height the 7afe block adds fucks it all completely...

only way to do it correctly is with degree wheels and the like...but im no expert on this stuff...

seamus and robo had some fun doing it tho...think they had quite a thread discussing it...cbf looking for it

slide86
16th May 2010, 06:46 PM
using a degree wheel can be quite difficult and brain melting for those that dont have a good understanding of how things and how cam timing works....

ive just done it on a ford anglier with a zetec in it, ive used one several times before so it wasnt to bad for me, but you still need to go slow and follow step by step.

there are a few good youtube vids and websites.

ALSO, you need to establish TRUE DTC with a dial indicator and degree wheel, otherwise you are pretty much wasting your time.

what state are you in?

Daz32
16th May 2010, 07:05 PM
cool thanks for the info so far guys im on the sunshine coast in QLD. I think im going to have to give this degree wheel and dial indicator a go its the only way i think im going to get it

yeh i have also tried to look for spec sheets on cams but read what delazy is talking about the block being higher and putting your measurements out

SHADOW KNIGHT
9th July 2010, 03:06 PM
Well i did not know that all Delazy.
My car runs fine all the way to 7.5 rpm with no misses and idles fine.Have asked around abit since i heard this and also have been told i could have potential power locked away.
Was going to take it in and have some1 play with the cam gears but blew a box so that will have to wait !!!
Joys joys joys

Jonny Rochester
10th July 2010, 01:58 AM
Put the 304 cam on the inlet, use the 288 cam on the exhaust. For both cams put the lobe centres at around 105 degrees for a general starting point. Make it closer to 100 degrees for a high rpm max power setting, make it closer to 110 degrees for a more drivable low range setting.

You need a degree wheel, a dial gauge, a calculator, pen and paper, adjustable cam gears. There is no way of doing a 7A-GE without a degree wheel.