PDA

View Full Version : 4age in ZOOK

ZOOK4AZ
23rd May 2010, 10:15 PM
Hi All.
i have a few questions in relation to converting a 4age 16v bigport to a 4agze. but first ill give you the low down on wat i already have.

4a convertion into a sierra using a t50, stock 4a computer. i have been driving it for the past year and now that ive made the sierra bigger (lift and 32in muddies) the old motor just does not have the power i need to turn the wheels, i have reduction gearing in the transfer to help out but more power would be great.
i have resently aquired a supercharger with all required mounts, piping, manifold and others. all these parts i took of a 4agze, wich came at a price, i swaped my tvis plate and rwd manifold for all parts. So im now at a hult and in need of technical advice. I no nothing is just a bolt on job so im asking for anyones advice on wat i should do?

- is it worth to rebuild the motor to suit the sc ? or to buy a complete stock 4agze
- a brief outline of what would needed to handle sc?
- any other info power gain would be great
cheers

blake.
23rd May 2010, 10:55 PM
go 4agze as i was made to be ssupercharged, and do a pulley upgrade for more boost.

but i dont think 4a's would like to be on muddies, as they dont have heaps of torque tho the supercharger may fix that.

ke_70
23rd May 2010, 11:18 PM
if you dont rebuild to gze specs you might get lucky but dont count on it lasting for ever

id get a gze to start with if you can afford it. but id also look in to an sr. have you got much room to play with?

ke70dave
23rd May 2010, 11:58 PM
depends how much boost you run too.

lots of guys have put turbos on the side of standard 4ages and had success for years, on lowish boots (6psi etc)

other guys have blown up engines that were apparnetly rebuilt for turbo.

it may turn out easier and cheaper to buy a complete 4agze halfcut and bolt it all in. get

and then sell your current engine in running order.

aus_86
24th May 2010, 12:17 AM
yes i would also say buy something that has already got what you want, as i have spent a fair bit of cash and nothing is running.

just wait and something you want will come up

Skylar
24th May 2010, 12:48 AM
We looked at 4age, SR, CA. ended up with g13b. not my choice but mate's happy with it. SR seems too big, need move transfer case back and 3 new tailshafts. never did test fit so not definitive. g13b was easiest so he did that.

i'd just boost 4age with an ecu and get it tuned by a good shop. then build a back up motor while enjoying the car.

Sam-Q
24th May 2010, 01:10 AM
I agree with the 4age choice, it's pretty much a proven conversion in these tough little off-roaders. But I also suggest a 4agze end or any old 4age and fit ZE pistons, they are surprisingly cheap.

Gunner
24th May 2010, 08:33 AM
Personally, I would locate some forgies, and keep the comp ratio, up above 9:1, I'd also invest in a water to air intercooler, from a GT4 or early subaru.

With the higher comp, it should be a fair bit ,more aggresive in the lower rev range. A mate and I built one a few years back now, similar specs to what you have, we ran wiseco forgies, on gze rods, we achieved 10:1 comp. and kept the clutch on the supercharger, so we could manually turn it on once we hit the mud/hills, this kept fuel consumption decent, and plenty of power when we needed it. We had a front mount on it, but found it wasn't working too well (dust then river crossing = mud covered core), so went to a gt4 water to air cooler, which seemed to help with heat soak on those slow steep inclines. Turned out to be a very capable little 4x4, till it got rolled into a tree.

ZOOK4AZ
24th May 2010, 08:36 PM
there is a guy selling a 4agze on here so i may trymy luck at getting that before it sells. Would it be a idea to keep my origanal setup and rebuild it to suit a SC or spend the money on rebuilding a origanal 4az. This is not my everyday driver, so im open for any ideas on how i could make the setup better, your talking about Water to air intercoolers? wats involved?

Sam-Q
24th May 2010, 09:31 PM
excellent idea on the water to air intercooler, they work very well for continous boosted driving such as that of 4x4