PDA

View Full Version : 4K-C idle and running issue.

AE86 Spoontah
7th June 2010, 05:35 PM
Hey guys, i'm having a bit of trouble getting my 4k to idle and run properly.

It will idle nicely with the choke on but when you turn the choke off, the revs rise a fair bit, it will idle for 3 seconds and then it just dies in the ass. I can only get it to idle without the choke on if i crank it up to around 2000rpm.

When i drove it with the choke on it was smooth in power delivery but when i turned the choke off the engine really struggles to rev like its being flooded.

Any ideas as i think i've checked everything?

squish_m8
8th June 2010, 09:55 AM
Inlet Manifold gasket.

about $10 and an hours work

stx-16
8th June 2010, 11:18 AM
that happened to mine it was a thin wire with a green plug that came off the carbie (idle wire/fuse i think it was)
the wire in side snapped try fixing that

AE86 Spoontah
8th June 2010, 11:46 AM
Inlet Manifold gasket.

about $10 and an hours work

I think it might be that as when i give the throttle a little "blip" you can hear a noise like it's sucking somewhere else

that happened to mine it was a thin wire with a green plug that came off the carbie (idle wire/fuse i think it was)
the wire in side snapped try fixing that

Are you talking about the fuel shutoff solenoid?

stx-16
8th June 2010, 08:07 PM
ummm maby the work shop just said it was that wire

AE86 Spoontah
9th June 2010, 11:34 AM
Started ripping off manifold to replace gasket and i'm taking all the emmisions shit off to prevent further vacuum leaks. Hope fully that will sort my problem out?

stx-16
9th June 2010, 12:53 PM
just dont fuck with the vacuum lines the actually do shit lol

Tally
9th June 2010, 04:37 PM
all you need to worry about is the dizzy vacuum advance line and the vacuum line that opens the secondary's.

and charcoal canister

Everything else you can rip off and block...

AE86 Spoontah
9th June 2010, 08:48 PM
all you need to worry about is the dizzy vacuum advance line and the vacuum line that opens the secondary's.

and charcoal canister

Everything else you can rip off and block...

That's all i was planning on keeping. I saw a 4k vacuum diagram from the bonnet somewhere that had bright green lines to show which ones to keep but i can't seem to find it!

stx-16
10th June 2010, 12:01 PM
it would be awsome if you could send it to me when you fine it

AE86 Spoontah
10th June 2010, 11:36 PM
it would be awsome if you could send it to me when you fine it

I have searched the net for hours and i can't remember where it was, but i'll post it up when i do find it.

Dylan
11th June 2010, 04:22 AM
I think this is what your after

http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?title=Tech:Engine/K_Series/4K-C/4K-C_Emission_System_Diagram

Rian
11th June 2010, 01:56 PM
sounds like your on top of it.. but basically
1. find and stop all air leaks.
2 tune carby.. possible overfueling?
3 have you got a good spark.

all3 are sweet your car will run fine.

AE86 Spoontah
11th June 2010, 04:08 PM
I think this is what your after

http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?title=Tech:Engine/K_Series/4K-C/4K-C_Emission_System_Diagram
It's got green lines on the first picture to show which ones to keep

AE86 Spoontah
12th June 2010, 11:14 PM
So i replaced the manifold gaskets and took off all unnecessary emissions stuff today. I'm a little unsure of where i get the secondary vacuum feed from? Can i just plumb from the seecondary port back into the carb?

AE86 Spoontah
13th June 2010, 06:51 PM
Had no luck today in getting the car to idle properly no matter what i did. Took it for a drive and revs wouldn't drop when changing gears. Had idle set at about 1000rpm before i drove it and after 5min of driving it was up around 4000rpm all by itself at idle. I took a video to show how it runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_jCnpcq2iE

At the start it hunts for idle then dies after i rev it a bit. Start up again and almost dies so i bump up the idle screw a bit. I adjust the air fuel mixture screw but nothing really happens, then you can see the smoke that it pisses out when it gets reved. I filled my whole front yard with grey smoke just before this video :thumbdown:

AE86 Spoontah
14th June 2010, 09:05 PM
Engine needs to be rebuilt as the water is so frothy when running and cooling system keeps leaking out of the same spot so there is unwanted pressure in there. Also when i took the oil cap off it there was so much blowby noise it wasn't funny and could hear that over my exhaust.