PDA

View Full Version : r31 rear calipers

reecegze
4th February 2009, 08:14 AM
Hey guys does anyone know if the r31 calipers have internal handbrake drum brakes ??

racsov
4th February 2009, 08:49 AM
lol the fuck?

calipers and drums are different types of brakes. if you mean the handbrake, aus del r31s use a ultra homo intergrated twisting style handbrake. theres a lever on the back of the piston, when the cable pulls on it it pushes the piston in. theyre prone to seizing up especially with a hydo handbrake so avoid using them. vb-vs coonadore calipers are the same but without the handbrake mechanism so if your making a diff or something and you dont need a cable handbrake, check them out.

HR31s have the internal drum style handbrake though but they are semi trailing arm rear

reecegze
4th February 2009, 02:50 PM
i meant handbrake obviously you new what i was talknig about .. Thanks for the info

reecegze
4th February 2009, 02:54 PM
Is there any possible modification i could do to upgrade to better brakes?? i dont wanna run the hydro handbrake but i want the rears to lock up aleast.. The r31 calipers cant do this! I am running a hilux diff with 5x114.3 pattern with r31 calipers for foot/hanbrake.
I am looking for something like the r33 gtst setup with internal handbrake drums to fit onto my diff

driftke70
4th February 2009, 03:32 PM
weld a bracket on for another caliper on the opposite side and have a hydro line going to them, or find a set of calipers that have a decent handbrake, from memory i think mitsu magana ones are pretty good.

reecegze
4th February 2009, 04:44 PM
I am not wanting to use the hydro brakes.. i could easliy go that path i am wanting to lock up the rears without being illegal or running 2 handbrakes in a small sprinter..I am trying to find out what other calipers i could use on the hilux diff/hub/axles that will be an upgrade for the handbrake..I am aware the s13 and r33 skyline use the internal handbrake drum.. but what would be needed to convert mine to those.. Custom backing plate ?

weld a bracket on for another caliper on the opposite side and have a hydro line going to them, or find a set of calipers that have a decent handbrake, from memory i think mitsu magana ones are pretty good.

af300e
4th February 2009, 04:59 PM
Do st141 backing plates bolt up to hilux diffs? They run internal shoes for the handbrake and 280mm discs.......

dr1ft-pig
4th February 2009, 05:43 PM
u can go hydro and keep your stock handbrake,

my suggestion is make a bracket to hold a standard clutch MC behind your existing handbrake, drill small hole in the back of existing handbrake and run the mc off it, then when driving on the street u can pull the pin out and when on track u can make your existing handbrake act as a hydro aswell

mind you this is running as a twin caliper setup and will still be legal

Jonny Rochester
4th February 2009, 06:03 PM
As has been said, the R31 rear handbrake is a lever on the back of the disk brake caliper. It is a similar setup to the AE86 GTV/Apex, AE92 SX, and the front brakes of a Subaru L series. (They have the handbrake on the front!). And all of these brakes can have handbrake troubles, like the handbrakes just do not hold, or only locks one wheel. But, most of these problems can be fixed with proper adjustment and sometimes a minor overhaul. Yes, the R31 ones are a bastard sometimes when you just want to change the rear pads. Sometimes you just have to admit the job will take and hour, wind the pistons right out, spill brake fluid, make a mess etc. Sus it all out, and reassemble with grease.

And of course, back the handbrake cables right off. And only adjust them up again once everything else is done.

But if everything works, and you just want a small upgrade, I would think about using Subaru L front brakes. They look the same as AE86 rears, and a little bigger I think.

cuzzo
4th February 2009, 06:17 PM
Hey reezegze,

Do you want it for parking or drifting?

Drifting theres nothing better than a hydro setup, however illegal though.
Parking / Street use - Look on toymods. theres an upgrade using supra gear ma70 from what remember.

Other option is maybe using f-series end cups or commo end cup and using the matching brake gear. You will need to get them welded on - straighten diff- and bearing changed on the axel.

reecegze
4th February 2009, 09:10 PM
These subaru L series brakes will they bolt onto the r31 backing plate ? or will i need custom one made.. Also

As has been said, the R31 rear handbrake is a lever on the back of the disk brake caliper. It is a similar setup to the AE86 GTV/Apex, AE92 SX, and the front brakes of a Subaru L series. (They have the handbrake on the front!). And all of these brakes can have handbrake troubles, like the handbrakes just do not hold, or only locks one wheel. But, most of these problems can be fixed with proper adjustment and sometimes a minor overhaul. Yes, the R31 ones are a bastard sometimes when you just want to change the rear pads. Sometimes you just have to admit the job will take and hour, wind the pistons right out, spill brake fluid, make a mess etc. Sus it all out, and reassemble with grease.

And of course, back the handbrake cables right off. And only adjust them up again once everything else is done.

But if everything works, and you just want a small upgrade, I would think about using Subaru L front brakes. They look the same as AE86 rears, and a little bigger I think.

reecegze
4th February 2009, 09:13 PM
its purely for the old skidpan, track day and spur of the moment skids... I really want them to lock up like my old t series drums but instead it just slows me down.. When i bought the diff it had been converted to r31 calipers and 5 stud rotors..I would of opted for the 9inch drums from the hilux.

Hey reezegze,

Do you want it for parking or drifting?

Drifting theres nothing better than a hydro setup, however illegal though.
Parking / Street use - Look on toymods. theres an upgrade using supra gear ma70 from what remember.

Other option is maybe using f-series end cups or commo end cup and using the matching brake gear. You will need to get them welded on - straighten diff- and bearing changed on the axel.

reecegze
4th February 2009, 09:14 PM
Never heard of this before have u got any info on this ?? i have search google for many forms and types nothing like this came up..I am aware that if i want to go hydro setup i would loose my cable break.. but it got me thinking if i were to run an hydro setup and just crimp a fitting to the old handbrake cable and use pilers to pull it tight and lock it off onto a bracket i made in the console area.. What you guys think ??? good idea or not.. I aint to worried about the legal issue more so safety of the setup now

u can go hydro and keep your stock handbrake,

my suggestion is make a bracket to hold a standard clutch MC behind your existing handbrake, drill small hole in the back of existing handbrake and run the mc off it, then when driving on the street u can pull the pin out and when on track u can make your existing handbrake act as a hydro aswell

mind you this is running as a twin caliper setup and will still be legal

driftke70
4th February 2009, 09:57 PM
they have adjusters at the base of the e brake too, just slack it right off by winding it out then use the hydro, then wind it back in later

Golberg
4th February 2009, 10:09 PM
Swap back to drums mate, best solution without going hyrdo handbrake.

reecegze
4th February 2009, 10:10 PM
i am seriously thinking about it.. so much more easier to lock up the rears , or spend 500$ running a illegal hydro setup