PDA

View Full Version : Dorifto 101

kokopuffs
25th July 2010, 01:05 AM
put this up on boost figured I might as well put it here too.

LIST OF TOPICS IN ORDER
-buying drift car
-drift mods
-where to drift
-drift techniques

BUYING A DRIFTMOBILE

1- whats your budget

drifting isnt cheap even when you buy a "cheap drifter" cost of tires will ruin you
be prepared to buy a car and tires... smoke em and possibly fuck up your wheels too... and get replacements after
then you repeat the cycle ;]

2- how JDM TYTE are you?

as in how hardcore do you want the car to be...
ie. weekend warrior or fullout trackslut or just a "missle" to learn in
This affects the desicion on which base because different uses would require different levels of aftermarket support
and it would also affect whether or not car must be REGOED thanks to the lovely deffect laws

3- commonly recommended bases (feel free to add to the lists there are tons more options)

bases you could find under3k
- r31
- ke70 and other older corollas in the family
- Gemini
- Gazelle... this might or might not be under 3k
- Corona

ballers (well..... 5k and upwards) you have many more options. That being said if you have only 5k i suggest you read list above ^^
-S13 silvia/180sx
-s14/s15.... pretty much any S-Chassis
-AE86 HACHIROKU!!!!! nuff said
-Skylines r32, 33, maybe 34... but please dont smash a beautiful 34 I would cry lol
-Cressida and other Mark II family members
-Cefiro and Laurel
-Soarer
-Rx7
-Mx5
-Suzuki cappacino (ive always wanted one of these for a daily)

4- Common starter mods ( My car want to driftzorssssss)

for starters REPLACE SUSPENSION BUSHINGS- no one wants to drift around a track with squeaky shit beneath them plus having coilovers wont help you much if your bushings are shot.

have tires ready.... lots of them.... like stash that shit like its your drug

some suspension work... strut/springs or coils, sway bars etc basically more options to tune the rigidity (stiffness) of your chassis
*NOTE stiffer does not always mean better... that is why many will suggest driving your car stock and getting a feel before any mods
when if you find your car oversteers too much then soften the rears or if your car plows forward in undewrsteer then soften the fronts
these are just general settings and you as the driver must set it for your own driving style

LSD omg holy fucking shit this is so important!!!..... your super slammed cut springs car wont drift that well on an open diff
either save up for a 1.5 or 2 way or if money is a concern get a welded

BRAKES you don't necessarily need a hydraulic setup... but you migth want to make sure your rotors and pads are good

then from now on you can have fun knowing you have a prefectly capable learning/entry level car
what you do next would be depending on your driving style and what you feel the cars needs... by then you wont be reading my shitty threads =P

The 5th and final commandment
GET THINE ASS TO YOUR LOCAL TRACK FOR THE NEXT DRIFTDAY =]

BONUS SECTION =D

WHERE TO DRIFT
ok so im adding a new section to this thread... where to drift
im going to need help with this one since im new to Australia but ill add what I know of

NSW/ACT
Eastern Creek
Wakefield Park
Raleigh International Raceway

VIC
Calder Park
Winston

QLD
Queensland Raceway
Archerfield

WA
Barbagallo Raceway

SA
Mallala

NT

TAS
Baskerville
Symmons Plains

So theres a little list of what ive found just post up any more and ill add to list
and yes there are also local spots besides tracks but those will be kept of the internet....
and if your searching for em online instead of in your car driving you dont deserve them anyways ;]

HOW TO DRIFT

Here’s a list of some basic techniques (will be edited for more detail once school load lightens up)
The list is divided by what mechanism is used to initiate the drift and the brackets indicate how the oversteer or drift is initiated eg. the physics behind it.
THROTTLE INITIATIONS-
Power oversteer (accelerating initiation)
Lift Throttle (weight transfer initiation)

BRAKING INITIATIONS-
E-brake or handbrake (decelerating initiation)
Trail Braking (weight transfer)

STEERING INITIATIONS-
Feint (weight transfer)

CLUTCH –
Clutch Kick (accelerating initiation)

GEAR SHIFTING INITIATIONS-
Upshift (accelerating initiation)
Shiftlock (Decelerating initiation)

matt99
25th July 2010, 12:40 PM
Buy KE.
Chop.
Weld.
Skid.

And always remember, skill before power.

keiichi
25th July 2010, 12:58 PM
dont forget RT142 corona for the under 3k, these are easy to do up for the most part, the CSi model weighs about 1050 - 1100 and comes with a 22RE 2.4ltr EFI engine... pretty boring engine but has nice torque.

as far as locations go, add archerfield ex go kart track south brisbane to queensland. and i think they have parklands go kart track at surfers paradise.

calder park no longer welcomes drifting may they burn in hell.
victoria has winton every now and then (2-3hr drive north of melbourne).

R&D Mechanical
25th July 2010, 03:27 PM
coronas are bang for buck. people dont see that for some reason

keiichi
25th July 2010, 03:32 PM
coronas are bang for buck. people dont see that for some reason

they're grandma cars or something, no aftermarket support to speak of really.

i want to put a 3tgte in mine, toyotas ca18det and probably the easier of conversions for rona (never done one before). people always say sr20 bolts in, 1ggte bolts in but theyre far from it. 3tgte should be bolt in, corona comes with 3tgte in japan.

R&D Mechanical
25th July 2010, 04:16 PM
but as you know you can put many parts into them being ae86/mx83/s13 shit

ecko
25th July 2010, 09:17 PM
Add baskerville for tas

Clinton
26th July 2010, 10:58 AM
Geez thanks man, It's really a lot of help...