PDA

View Full Version : crankshaft question

trikzlane
26th July 2010, 06:34 PM
i am currently building a smallport bottom end to put my bigport head on, i have the small internals but no flywheel.

my question is will my bigport flywheel bolt onto the smallport crank, because someone told me that bigport cranks have a 6 bolt flywheel as smallports have an 8 bolt flywheel? is it true

p.s im asking this because i cant currently see the bigport crank as its still in my car

sundee
26th July 2010, 06:41 PM
u need the flywheel to suit your bottom end. you will need a small port flywheel.

Skylar
26th July 2010, 07:23 PM
According to bill sherwood, some super early 4age's got the 4ac style 6 bolt cranks but were switched to 8 bolts. I've never come across or seen a 6 bolt 4age so I'd think you're safe with using your bigport flywheel and clutch on smallport.

trikzlane
26th July 2010, 07:24 PM
thats what i thought, cheers man

Hen may possibly be a nut
26th July 2010, 07:56 PM
Just confirming that both bigport and smallport will have an 8bolt crank and so your flywheel will swap over without problems.

There are rumours of 6bolt GE cranks. But I am yet to see one or hear from anyone who's ever seen one.

Hen

Sam-Q
26th July 2010, 09:54 PM
yeah I have said it before; i call bullshit on the 6 bolt 4age cranks

Cerby86
26th July 2010, 10:44 PM
yeah im prepared to bet that rumour was started by some occa bloke who went "weelll this here one says 4ac and this ear one says 4age, that letter bs is just to do with all that enviro junk so they must be the same motor eh?"