PDA

View Full Version : Need help with wheel bearing/ hubs!

-ollie-
25th August 2010, 06:22 PM
G'day, ive been doing my front wheel bearings today, and im 99% done, but im unsure of the way they are looking.
I have two main questions. Firstly, the bearing cups were pressed in, but the seal on the outside i only tapped in with a hammer, so are only sitting flush with the outside of the hub, so do i need to get them any further in, i.e. touching the bearing (at the moment its about 5mm above.
Secondly, there is this gap between the hub and the strut:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/8/1/0/51799.jpg
Is this meant to be here, or should the hub be further towards the strut?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers

Tally
25th August 2010, 06:35 PM
Having recently attempted same thing man, its pretty straight forward.

No the rear bearing seal will only sit flush with the hub and you cannot tap them in further, the gap that you see is because there are no backing plates on your struts.

Chuck the backing plates on and you will see how it all slots together...

ke70dave
25th August 2010, 06:45 PM
hmm i think it should go on a bit further than that.

i just did mine a few weeks ago, thought that it went right up to that little lip/curved bit. i had to give it a bit of a tap to get it the last few mm.

but yer try it with backing plates and see how it looks.

-ollie-
25th August 2010, 07:45 PM
I don't actually have any backing plates, but when I do the nut up, I'm sure it will push it on a bit more. On second inspection, the outer dust cap will hit the end of the stub if it goes on any further anyway.
Anyway, as long as that rear seal won't go on any further then I'm happy!
Cheers

Tally
25th August 2010, 09:30 PM
The backing plates have a circle lip that slides around the hub to prevent dirt and crap from entering the hub, the seal alone won't be enough to protect them for an extended period of time man.

-ollie-
25th August 2010, 09:57 PM
DOH! Haha, I actually happen to have some on the way from japan, but they won't be here for a few weeks. And the ae71 ones won't fit with jdm calipers will they? What a fail.