PDA

View Full Version : hydraulic handbrake setup

ae71ness
30th August 2010, 12:06 AM
well ive decided to make up a hydraulic handbrake but i dont know how the entire thing works.

does anyone have one and if so can you post pictures of the setup?

how does it work on an e7/ae86, does it work effectively or is a cable handbrake a better option?

how does the line mount into the brakes?

does anyone use a second drum/caliper setup?

this is for drift/ hill climb track only car so legalities are not an issue.

R&D Mechanical
30th August 2010, 12:09 AM
all you do is take the line that goes to the rear put that into the hand brake then a new line that you have to make up from the hand brake to the bit wheree you took it from on the diff

ae71ness
30th August 2010, 12:34 AM
thats a little confusing. you couldnt do a diagram? lol.

R&D Mechanical
30th August 2010, 12:39 AM
what diff you have?

also i just googled this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/technical-stuff/6761d1207660262-hydraulic-handbrake-factory-handbrake-removal.jpg

where it says cut off thats what i ment by putting it in the hb from the rear brakes (not cut tho jjust bend)

ae71ness
30th August 2010, 01:37 AM
brilliant piece of artwork :thumbup: :thumbup:

so if i make it with a clutch master there will be a line going into the master and back out. so effectively when i brake it will use to handbrake (without the lever action) and when i handbrake it will only put pressure on the rear brakes. yes?

kerola
4th October 2010, 02:04 PM
using this setup when you press the brake the it will go straight through the hydro clutch master and to the rear brakes, and if you pull the hydro up only the rears will lock, which is what you want.
the only bad side to this setup is that when you pull up the hydro the brake pedal may nudge your foot off slightly as there will by a bit of back pressure ( from master to master).
But i know many people who have run this setup and only a few have said it annoyed them lol.
if it annoys you enough you are half way there to put on the second caliper if you need.