PDA

View Full Version : what standard rad will fit in my ae86 with a 20v 4age

slider4life
30th August 2010, 07:23 PM
hi guys im having some cooling issues i have a koya radiator in my car and the damn thing is running too cold, im always driving around on cold start, just wanted to know as i have tommorow off dose any one know what standard car has roughly the same radiator as my ae86, im thinking about going to the wrekers tommorow and see what i can find if he dose it cheap enough ill give it ago
regards shaun

slydar
30th August 2010, 07:39 PM
the temperature of the coolant isnt really controlled by the size of the radiator, its the thermostat.

in simple terms the engine heats the coolant to a predetermined level, the thermostat opens and lets the coolant out of the engine, the radiator cools the coolant and the thermostate closes. if your radiator is "too big" the coolant will get cooled down quicker, but not to a "cooler" temperature.

i would suggest its most likely the way the cooling system has been set up on your engine that is the problem.

obviously this system needs modifying when putting a 20v in an 86 and its not always done perfectly.

most likely the cooling system has been set up without a thermostat. or the thermostat has been modified.

Sam-Q
30th August 2010, 08:33 PM
I completely agree with the above but if you still want to know Hyundai Excel (http://s-86.com/s-hyundai-rad.html)

H8CHIR6KU
31st August 2010, 02:23 PM
or there could be other problems too

the radiator could be too big. just cause the thermostat is set to a pre determined temp to operate doesnt mean the radiator wont affect the cooling system. i agree it wont keep it running on cold start tho.
the thermostat will close back up again if the coolant entering the system is very cold. if the system is too efficient you can have the thermostat shuddering open closed open etcm making it hard to get to a good operating temp

also
the thermostat may be jammed open
the coolant temp sensor could be dicky
or if running an aftermarket ecu the coolant temp sensor isnt calibrated or wired in properly