PDA

View Full Version : Torque setting w/ TODA MHG

AE092
31st August 2010, 04:33 PM
Currently having the head fitted with a TODA 1.0mm head gasket with reinforced head bolts from Japan, wondering if anyone knows what the correct torque setting would be for the metal head gasket?

70XIN
31st August 2010, 04:41 PM
It doesn't matter what brand of head-gasket it is, it matters what bolts you're using :)

If it's those allen-key type reinforced bolts from japland, then they just use standard 4AGE torque settings.

ke70dave
31st August 2010, 07:21 PM
though it depends if they are those torque to yield as well, or not.

"apparently" the standard 4age bolts are one use only, though i reused mine and its still going 2yrs later....

i would be trying to find specific instructions for the bolts, as the standard toyota 4age settings are for standard toyota bolts, which mr ae092 doesnt have.

Skylar
31st August 2010, 07:44 PM
You've done stress/strain and young's modulus right? You do realise what happens to the metal when you tighten a torque-to-yield head bolt?

ke70dave
31st August 2010, 08:06 PM
yer i kinow whats going on, and i only found this out after i put them back in. and at the time i needed the car back together ASAP so it was a bit rushed.

4age manual gives a length that the bolt should be (exhaust side is 108mm and intake is 90mm), sais "if any of the bolts dont meet them, replace"

soooo maybe i got lucky and mine are all in spec, or they are in spec good enough to seal for the last 2yrs or so.

AE092
1st September 2010, 12:42 AM
It doesn't matter what brand of head-gasket it is, it matters what bolts you're using :)

If it's those allen-key type reinforced bolts from japland, then they just use standard 4AGE torque settings.

Exactly the ones' I've got and called a few 4AG shops and they told me to use the stock torque settings as well. 29nm + 2 x 90 degree passes.

Javal
1st September 2010, 12:55 AM
yer i kinow whats going on, and i only found this out after i put them back in. and at the time i needed the car back together ASAP so it was a bit rushed.

4age manual gives a length that the bolt should be (exhaust side is 108mm and intake is 90mm), sais "if any of the bolts dont meet them, replace"

soooo maybe i got lucky and mine are all in spec, or they are in spec good enough to seal for the last 2yrs or so.

I had a set stretch on me tonight. 4AGE factory headbolts are torque to yield and should be replaced every time. Factory torque settings is 3-stage: 29nm then 90 degrees, then an additional 90 degrees.

AE092
1st September 2010, 01:15 AM
I had a set stretch on me tonight. 4AGE factory headbolts are torque to yield and should be replaced every time. Factory torque settings is 2-stage: 29nm then 90 degrees.

Sure? I've read elsewhere is 29nm then 2 passes of 90 degrees

Skylar
1st September 2010, 01:45 AM
Yah, two passes.

70XIN
1st September 2010, 02:25 AM
Just to entertain people's curiosity, this is what happens to a rod bolt (torque-to-yield) that's been done up once or twice too many. The stretch is awesome!

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/8363/torquetoyield.jpg

Skylar
1st September 2010, 03:14 AM
Haha, necking followed by rupture. Sweet.

What are they off Seamus?

Javal
1st September 2010, 10:38 AM
Sure? I've read elsewhere is 29nm then 2 passes of 90 degrees

Correct, actually. The specs book I have has stage 1 and 2 on one page, then rolls over to the next page for stage 3.

Good catch. I'll edit my old post to reflect this.