PDA

View Full Version : T3 Weld on Coilover Kit Thoughts?

Plelz
1st September 2010, 09:29 PM
I am thinking of buying the techno toy tuning weld on ground control coilover kit (welds onto AE86 struts).
Has anyone ever used these? Thoughts???
Positives?
Negatives?
How do they measure up against the AJPS kit?

Any info would be awesome

blinded
1st September 2010, 09:50 PM
I use them, have been for a couple of years. Weld collar onto strut, slide sleeve on, assemble strut, done.

Positive: Single spring seat with locking screw, rather than 2 seats binding on each other to lock the height.

Negative: None?

Not sure how they 'measure up' to the AJPS kit, but really any difference is going to be more so your spring and shock combo. They are a good quality item and I have no reason to change my mind about them.

AJPS
1st September 2010, 10:10 PM
I dont often bag out the competitions products but...

There is a reason I stopped selling T3 stuff....

The threaded part in aluminum for a start.
The top hats are shit and require mods my kits come with to locate with a strut top.
They still slip on and are loose on the strut as they arent actually welded to anything. They sit on a perch you weld on. Can be removed by hand.
They have only one one ring/seat and this tightens with grub screws (!)
They only come with 8kg springs.

For a shop that 5x over engineers everything to the point you bend your chassis not the part I cannot understand this item.

My kits are in stock and made in Adelaide.

blinded
1st September 2010, 10:37 PM
The threaded part in aluminum for a start. Yes, true, but has anyone actually ever had problems because of this? (Not starting shit, just asking :) ) Mine have had plenty of hard driving, ie pot holes that near swallowed my car at 110km/h on many occasions etc.
The top hats are shit and require mods my kits come with to locate with a strut top. Not sure if this is only an issue with stock strut tops or not, but mine went in with no hassles using Tein camber tops.
They still slip on and are loose on the strut as they arent actually welded to anything. They sit on a perch you weld on. Can be removed by hand. Whether a collar/perch is welded on, or a steel threaded sleeve is welded on, they are still doing the same job. It is still one weld point below the sleeve holding it in place. And, with the weight of a car on them, they arnt going to be moving anyway? Could always just weld a top collar around it if you wanted.
They have only one one ring/seat and this tightens with grub screws (!) Not grub screws. It is a single 6mmD screw that has a proper thread to go into and tightens laterally around the collar (Hard to explain :S ) If that is tight and you have the weight of the car on the seat, it is not going to loosen/move. No more so than a 2 ring seat.
They only come with 8kg springs. Bought mine w/out springs so wasnt a problem for me :)

Australian Made though is always worth supporting!

Just my thought on that anyway, again, not trying to start anything :)

AJPS
1st September 2010, 10:42 PM
Australian Made though is always worth supporting!

Just my thought on that anyway, again, not trying to start anything :)

EDIT: missed the quoted bit.

You could weld a top collar on but they still move on the strut and coupled with the t3 upper hat system the sleeve can turn on the strut.

And since they dont run helpers (you can add them tho) if the car is low and uncaptive and you get air borne it could lift.

Likely to happen? No. But its food for thought.

Maybe they have changed the kits, they arent far removed from the china kits.

In the real world im sure all the flaws these kits have wouldnt make a great deal of difference once they were in your car.

But if you have them sitting side by side I know which one I would be grabbing.

Glad to hear they worked out for you.

blinded
1st September 2010, 10:48 PM
Yeah I can't comment about kit design changes, but it is more than possible if they did have the issues you mentioned.

I bought mine brand new - second hand for obviously less than what they are retailing for, so I don't know how they are price wise to you're ones, but for the record, had they never come up for sale, I'd have probably gone the AJPS ones anyway for convenience. All I was trying to say to the OP was that I use T3 items and have had absolutely no problems at all, and hopefully won't for sometime!

Sam-Q
1st September 2010, 11:50 PM
as usual T3 is a mix of really good and bad. They will never tell you the downsides of anything they sell (NRCA's anyone?)

I think the Otomoto kit from HSD looks the part

Plelz
2nd September 2010, 07:10 PM
I dont like the sound of the sleeve being able to move around. And in my experience anything that I touch that has grub screws tends to come loose/move around a bit.

HSD eh... they do look good but i know nothing about them. Anyone using them? Thoughts?

Dylan
2nd September 2010, 07:33 PM
^ So far they've been great for me. I would recommend

munki
2nd September 2010, 08:05 PM
the otomoto ones are good value and come with springs as a bonus!

Sam-Q
2nd September 2010, 08:25 PM
where are you located Plelz? could you please fill out your location box?

Plelz
3rd September 2010, 12:22 AM
Do the HSD kits weld onto the strut casing? Or does the sleeve sit on top of a collar welded to the strut casing?

Sam-Q
3rd September 2010, 12:24 AM
full weld on, the way they all should be

Plelz
3rd September 2010, 11:56 PM
The AJPS ones look good but for the same price as HSD you get springs aswell.... unless anyone can give me some reasons why HSD kits are inferior to AJPS i might go them..... :Z

Plelz
4th September 2010, 11:42 AM
Also.... whatever kit i go (AJPS or HSD) is it possible/more beneficial/easier to weld the kit to XT130, AE86 or KE70 strut casings????

Skylar
4th September 2010, 04:16 PM
AE86/XT130, yes

KE70 have smaller strut diam.

beneficial? depends on what brakes you want to run. hilux/peugeot is for XT130, dunno how good stock XT130 is. AE86, you can run jap vented stuff, or AJPS FC caliper adaptor and whatever disc (civic or mini, either one, can't remember specifics) or if you want super jdm tyte, you can get SS works R32 4 pot kit.

easier? no, both same same.

Plelz
4th September 2010, 05:30 PM
Cheers mate. Looks like I have to get my hanfs on some AE86 struts

sundee
4th September 2010, 05:46 PM
I dont often bag out the competitions products but...

There is a reason I stopped selling T3 stuff.... I was sure that only Datsport was T3's only distributer before me?...... hmm

The threaded part in aluminum for a start. -
The top hats are shit and require mods my kits come with to locate with a strut top. -
They still slip on and are loose on the strut as they arent actually welded to anything. They sit on a perch you weld on. Can be removed by hand.
They have only one one ring/seat and this tightens with grub screws (!) - the grub screw only stops the seat rotation, it doesnt take any of the downward force.
They only come with 8kg springs. - They dont, they come with any spring rate you want

For a shop that 5x over engineers everything to the point you bend your chassis not the part I cannot understand this item. - Meh - its all ppl say

My kits are in stock and made in Adelaide.

Its a bit much to compair their products to what comes out of china.
so your saying, lets all run Just Jap stuff becuase its similar??