PDA

View Full Version : xt130/rt142 struts into ae86 that already has ra60 struts.what other parts are needed

yoshimitsu9
1st September 2010, 10:51 PM
gday guys,

been a while since ive been on the forum!

ive decided to resurrect the ae86 from the dead and am starting to replace buggered bits on it.

after and hour of searching google, toymods and dc i still havent found the answers im after.

my 86 already has ra60 struts installed in it. so what parts will i be required to attain to make xt130/rt142 struts bolt in? and i would be correct in saying that this conversion will correct the fucked suspension geometry that is caused by the ra60 struts?

any help is appreciated

cheers,

stefan

blinded
1st September 2010, 11:00 PM
According to this Toyota strut (strut/steering arm bolt spacing) info, the RA60 has a different strut/steering arm bolt spacing to the XT130.

Assuming that info stands up, you will need new steering arms as a start. You can use AE86 ones with XT130 struts, but depending on your LCAs they can cause the brake disc to foul on the end of the ball joint/LCA due to the offset of the locating holes in relation to the centre of the ball joint.

Regarding geometry, don't quote me, but I am certain that I have read somewhere that the RA60 stub axle angle is out not correct for use in an AE86/KE70. Hopefully someone else can fill you in with more info here.

yoshimitsu9
1st September 2010, 11:09 PM
cheers for the info mate.

am i correct in saying that there are no other common cars found at pickie wreckers that share the same steering arms as ae86 items? also in regards to the lca's required with ra60 struts, they are the same or very close in length to ae86 items so it would be fair to assume that i have ae86 lca's in my car?

my memory is a little hazy on details as i havent played around with toyotas in while

cheers,

stefan

blinded
1st September 2010, 11:18 PM
am i correct in saying that there are no other common cars found at pickie wreckers that share the same steering arms as ae86 items? Not 100% sure but I know that either XT130 or AE86 steering arms will work. XT130 ones will make sure the disc clears the end of the LCA fine, but being longer than AE86 ones, you will have SFA lock. Using AE86 power steering arms however will give you plenty of lock, but will most likely cause the fouling issue.
also in regards to the lca's required with ra60 struts, they are the same or very close in length to ae86 items so it would be fair to assume that i have ae86 lca's in my car? Again, I can't be sure as I don't have/havnt seen AE86 LCA's. Have a read of this thread and grab a tape measure, then find out what LCA you have :)

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/2205-Lower-Control-Arm-Measurments-amp-Compatibility

See what other have to say too.

Jacobxxx
1st September 2010, 11:44 PM
theres a pair of ae86 power steering arms on ebay that have been modified for corona struts.

Hen may possibly be a nut
2nd September 2010, 12:49 AM
As far as I know, RT142 and RA60 struts are the same. Someone should hopefully be able to confirm or deny that though. So swapping to RT142 gear should make zero difference to your current setup.

XT130 struts are different in at least two ways. The bolt spacing in the bottom, where it bolts to the steering arm is different (it matches AE86 stuff, not RA60). And the king pin angle is different (again, the same, or bloody close to AE86 gear). So they will get rid of the positive camber the RA60 struts bring.

Javal
2nd September 2010, 02:29 AM
As far as I know, RT142 and RA60 struts are the same. Someone should hopefully be able to confirm or deny that though. So swapping to RT142 gear should make zero difference to your current setup.

XT130 struts are different in at least two ways. The bolt spacing in the bottom, where it bolts to the steering arm is different (it matches AE86 stuff, not RA60). And the king pin angle is different (again, the same, or bloody close to AE86 gear). So they will get rid of the positive camber the RA60 struts bring.

RA60 - RT142 strut - same difference. Brakes differ but steering arms are the same, KPI super close if not the same. Confirmed.

yoshimitsu9
2nd September 2010, 05:46 PM
so once i aquire some xt130 struts (is there even any at pickie wreckers these days?) it should be a pretty straight forward swap over and all i should need is some ae86 steering arms then? and not need to chance tie rod ends or anything like that?