PDA

View Full Version : 304 deg cam issue

xero
6th September 2010, 12:21 PM
Car - ae86

motor - smallport 16v

use - driving

problem - the cam lobe is fouling on the head itself.

i have a tomei 304 deg 11mm lift intake cam which when trying to fit is fouling on the head itself due to the duration. i also have a 296 deg 10.5mm exhaust cam that DOES NOT foul on the head.
so it seems the issue is that extra 0.5mm lift.

options:
find smaller 10.5mm lift cam, at similar duration.

or

pull head off get machined to fit.

have to try and find another cam that will fit it my biggest issue right now. local cam providers didnt have the right profiles i wanted so bought from japan.
so at the moment looking into either getting one ground or off the shelf jobbie that will be close to what i want. rough cost $400

or i pull the head off get it machined to fit the cam, but this would mean new head gasket as well plus machining costs. last time i got something machined similarly was about $200, plus a gasket $100 plus my time.

has any one had this problem or offer any solutions?

slydar
6th September 2010, 12:36 PM
the "machining" of the head needn't cost $200. it only needs a touch up with a die grinding by the sounds. you should be able to do that yourself?

xero
6th September 2010, 01:01 PM
yeah i dim, thats all i think it is. the car is at the workshop at the moment so i havent seen it myself...
the figures are very rough regarding machining, just going of what i spent last time.

also, to add to the extra hard ghey is that cams of a similar duration from camtech/wade/tighe are all in pairs no seperately. they range from $650 from wade to $1000 from camtech...

shift_rook
6th September 2010, 04:49 PM
wouldn't just be able to break out the die grinder and clean it up wih head still on? just make sure no metal filings are able to lfick into the sump and she'd be peachy won't she? btw please get some vids up of idle when she's done :D

xero
6th September 2010, 06:29 PM
yeah i know, ive looked at my busted head and its only 1mm that would need to come out.
the workshop is chasing a guy at camtech who might be able to do a single cam, but wont know yet.

shifty if your coming to the annual you'll hear at idle and on full song mate!

biggo
6th September 2010, 09:25 PM
Get the cam ground .5mm?

xero
7th September 2010, 09:12 AM
the head is cheaper and easier to ground (read - softer metal)

its just the fuck around of having to take the head off... spoke to the workshop yesterday arvo, so they will machine it out.

marvis
7th September 2010, 11:37 AM
I vote for just doing it yourself, if you do it right you won't get shit everywhere.

slydar
7th September 2010, 12:10 PM
i think it would be pretty unwise to do it with the head on. if thats what youre suggesting. there is a large risk of getting (even a tiny amount) of debris into the oil system. you risk damaging.. bearings, crank, oil pump, can journals... etc. for the sake of a $100 head gasket.

corknose
7th September 2010, 01:54 PM
I thought in doing a build with that big cams would have come across this when doing reasearch being a problm with alot of people.

marvis
7th September 2010, 02:04 PM
Actually you are right. I was drunk when I posted that.

PRIMRK
7th September 2010, 04:44 PM
Never good to listen to drunk people telling you how to fix your car...

xero
7th September 2010, 05:27 PM
I thought in doing a build with that big cams would have come across this when doing reasearch being a problm with alot of people.

you'd think that wouldnt you... currently talking to a few people as there are some other issues involved right now...

shift_rook
7th September 2010, 05:57 PM
xero, with the word of that i'm working twice as hard to get my car ready! but yeah good luck with it dude