PDA

View Full Version : Trouble wiring up starter motor... help?

Plelz
7th September 2010, 12:18 PM
Car - Ke70 Slant front, manual

motor - stanndard 4K

use - none yet, still in the shed

problem - there are too many wires (i think) running to the starter motor. There is a red, brown, green, yellow, white and the huge black positive one. I know where 3 of these wires go, but not the rest.

occurs/started when - went under car to pull out rooted starter and found 2 wires dangling in the breeze

personal situation - I need to know how/where these wires connect to the starter (if in fact they do). I k now the big black one with the ring end connects to the starter solenoid. In my car the green and the yellow wires are joined together by a female connector on the end, this (when I took the old starter out) was connected to the male connector on the solenoid (beside the huge positive black one). Then there are the red and brown wires just hanging.

The crazy thing is that all of these wires (except the positive black one) run to a little metal box (im assuming a resistor or something) with 4 male connectors sticking out of the bottom of it. This is screwed to the wheel arch in the engine bay. Attatched to these four connectors are 4 female connectors. The first is the white wire. The second is the green and yellow wires (joined together by a female connector). The third is the red and brown wires (joined together by a female connector). And the last is another yellow wire which curves around and sits inder the screw which holds the metal box to the body (assuming it earths it).

A very longwinded story... but does anyone know where these wires go?
Are there too many wires?

Really want this car to crank only when I turn the key.

haveaparty
7th September 2010, 03:02 PM
if u google 4k starter motor wiring there should be a diagram on the interwebs somewhere, but im pretty sure that u only need a big thick wire to go straight to the battery, and then the black/white wire that comes outta the fuse box connects to the solenoid, this is wat i think is right on mine, although i havnt kicked mine yet either

biggo
7th September 2010, 07:27 PM
Big black to starter as you stated. There should be a black with white trace wire to the terminal on the starter.

Yellow with green trace is water temp guage. The others i dont know, its a ke70 theres fuck all wires in there anyway but if i hazzard a guess id say coil/balast resisor.

Dylan
7th September 2010, 08:03 PM
The starter will only need 2 wires to work. The big 12V constant power, and a small trigger wire that will give 12V when you hit the key.
Got a multimeter handy?, will make it a breeze

Plelz
7th September 2010, 10:46 PM
Cheers guys.

I dont have a multimeter mate, can get my hands on one when I go back home tho.

Ok. So I my wires are all the wrong way round. Will require a bit more dickin around/swearing to get it sorted. What should be a simple job has turned out to be so frustrating.

Skylar
8th September 2010, 12:14 AM
What should be a simple job has turned out to be so frustrating.

Always the case with cars.

Took me 2 hours to change the driver's side headlight on 2 different cars because of stupid problems. "it'll only take a few minutes...."

Plelz
9th September 2010, 12:07 PM
Worked on it last night. I noticed that the green, yellow, red, brown and white wires ran straight from the "little metal box with male connectors sticking out the bottom" to where the starter sits, not attatched to anything else. So I unscrewed said little metal box from the wheel arch (inside the engine bay) and removed with it all the aforementioned wires. In doing this I found that they went nowhere and were thus completely useless. So then I hooked up the big positive black wire ti the bolt on the solenoid and then I connected the black with white stripe/trace wire to the male connector on the starter solenoid. Put starter and battery in and it fired up first time. Awesome.

Even better, the alternator (which I thought was rooted) is making power and subsequently charging the battery.

Cheers to haveaparty, biggo and Dylan for the heads up on the wiring.