PDA

View Full Version : best mods to keep your 4age cool!

bones
12th September 2010, 07:33 PM
Car - AE86

motor - 4age bigport

use -daily / drifter

problem - when giving the car abit the temp gauge goes up

personal situation - i no that the temp is going to go up anyway when your out drifting racing and so on , i just want to know what the best things are to do to keep it cool. I have a stock thermo fan and just a pod , any help would be appreciated thanks.

biggo
12th September 2010, 07:38 PM
Viscous fan with shroud in good nick and oil cooler

oil cooler would best the easiest. Mine works well but its pretty big.

Skylar
12th September 2010, 08:22 PM
You has thermostat on oil cooler? Oil temp gauge?

squish_m8
12th September 2010, 08:37 PM
remove thermostat. done

but seriously check thermostats are working properly is what I'd do first

ke70dave
14th September 2010, 06:27 PM
remove thermostat. done

DO NOT do this.....

if your thermostat, water pump, fan, radiator are all in good order...

than its time to get a bigger radiator.

make sure the rest are working first though.

be careful throwing oil coolers at an engine, cold oil is just as bad, if not worse, than hot oil. and if you do add them make sure it has some sort of flow control, weather it be thermo controlled or pressure controlled. so when you are just cuising around the suburbs you wont be running on stone cold oil.

bones
15th September 2010, 09:13 PM
thanks guys im definitely gonna get a oil cooler down the track .. know a good place to get them and radiators ? iv seen the alloy radiators on ebay but dont know how good they are..

Danny t
15th September 2010, 10:53 PM
I put a ca18det radiator with twin thermo's in mine dose the trick on the cheap , just drops straight in but need zip ties to hold the top in, and mod the top rad hose.

Just make sure you was the dirty ca aids out of it first.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/3/6/0/50519.jpg
Need to cut abit of sheet metal out for it to work 100% but i haven't seems to work.

aussierider
15th September 2010, 11:15 PM
If you do end up with an oil cooler and it doesn't have a thermostat in it, just carry around some cardboard or something to cover the heat exchanger when you aren't driving hard, so your oil still gets up to operating temp.
Too Cold oil is bad.