PDA

View Full Version : MASSIVE HEADACHE ! ae86 front brake issue

ae86
14th September 2010, 04:42 PM
Ok guys so heres the problem
i got a jdm 86, havnt changed brake system since it came from jland, first people to have their hands on this car was holford motors,

So i got new pads and discs from GSR rallysport (sponsor on this forum), realised that my origional discs on the front werent vented, tried pads and discs on didnt fit into my caliper, so i had guessed i had ae85 brake setup for some odd reason or some sort ?

Anyway i ordered jdm 86 calipers from japan, tried them on my car, when trying to bolt up i realized the bolt holes are about an inch off ? so i have no idea ive never looked into anything until now and i cant find any info between JDM and ADM ae86 or even ae85 brake setup.

Regards,
David.

ae86
14th September 2010, 05:22 PM
also heres another quick Q do adm ae86 calipers have a diameter to bolt into caliper brackets to jdm ae86 calipers?

slydar
14th September 2010, 05:43 PM
a jdm caliper will bolt up to an "adm" caliper bracket. sounds like your car came with TE71/2 struts or something.

ae86
14th September 2010, 05:48 PM
really ? i first got the car with standard springs and struts, changed out into revolver built coilovers and put this brake system on to them
later on i made up my own coilover kit and put these brakes on and thats what im using currently, surely one of the 3 pairs have been ae86 struts ? they supposeably were and these struts came off a friends car, i just dont understand why jdm ae86 calipers would have a different lengh in diameter for it to bolt up!

gslrallysport
14th September 2010, 05:51 PM
I've just checked the part numbers we supplied, and both front and rear rotors and pads are were definitely JDM AE86, so if you've sourced JDM calipers, and it still doesn't bolt up, then I'm leaning towards it being a strut issue like slydar said.

ae86
14th September 2010, 05:56 PM
3 pairs of struts all being non ae86 seems fairly slim to me as i also seen the most recent struts being off an ae86 that was bought straight off an old lady
then i got the struts straight after cause my mate changed to s13 front end?

slydar
14th September 2010, 05:57 PM
ok, was just suggesting because TE7X struts are pretty close to 86, but the caliper bolt spacing is out by about what youre suggesting.

ae86 strut/brake set ups are exactly the same adm to jdm, except for the caliper and disc. people have been bolting jdm calipers and discs onto adm struts/caliper brackets/hubs for years.

so the brakes are the ones that came on the car? whatever they are, it seems like theyre some type of unique jdm brake package. i can tell you, without modification, a TE caliper bracket wont go on an 86 strut, the bolt partern is different.

maybe you should ask on some american forum. see if sr5 brakes bolt up to gt struts.

gslrallysport
14th September 2010, 05:59 PM
Are you sure the calipers you've got are JDM AE86? Have you tried fitting the pads into the caliper off the car?

ae86
14th September 2010, 06:04 PM
i ordered the calipers straight from japan and they are for an ae86, got a Japanese person to look over information before i purchased, and yes the ive tried fitting the pads into the caliper before putting them on the car.

gslrallysport
14th September 2010, 06:06 PM
I've got DB322 on the invoice supplied, just double check that what was in the box actually was DB322:
http://www.atap.com.au/atap/ATAPWEBData/PadProfilesSmall/GDB954%20(Small).jpg
And if those pads don't fit, then you ain't got JDM AE86 calipers.

Also, the calipers have a number on them, I don't know what it's supposed to be (not being familiar enough with them), but somebody here will.

slydar
14th September 2010, 06:15 PM
2022 i think.. google it or ask craig.

blake.
14th September 2010, 06:59 PM
post pics of the calapers?

H8CHIR6KU
15th September 2010, 12:43 AM
im going with you havent got jdm calipers

adm jdm ae85 all bolt up to the same holes