PDA

View Full Version : BT 20V 4AGE + charcoal canister

70XIN
28th September 2010, 03:57 PM
Hello lovers and friends,

I have a sprinter with a blacktop 4AGE. The conversion was done in japan, and a couple of tiny things were left out.

The car has an AE86 charcoal canister still (and it's hooked up to the fuel tank), but the vacuum line on top doesn't go anywhere. At idle it releases pressure, and the tiniest amount of fuel vapour, so i want to fix it.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/6/53920.jpg

I know that with the standard AE111 setup, the charcoal canister hooks up to the VSV that lives under the plenum - however my setup is missing both the valve AND the wiring for it, so scratch that idea.

Am i able to run a line straight from the canister, to either of the vacuum lines pictured (arrows) below? (The second picture shows a vacuum line attached to the fitting, but it is currently blocked off by a screw) Are there any disadvantages to running one over the other?

The only other vacuum lines the car really has are for aircon idle-up, and the MAP-sensor line. I'm pretty sure i don't want to tee into either of those?

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/6/53921.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/6/53922.jpg

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

Yours sincerely
Seamus

Sam-Q
28th September 2010, 06:34 PM
All Jap conversions seem to have something 'left out'.

that one off the chracol canister normally goes to the line coming off behind the fourth throttle. Look on Mr Accoustics page for where that is.

Your second pic is a bit of a worry, that port is normally for your air pressure compensation for your fuel pressure regulator. You have an aftermarket one fitted, what effect this has I don't know.

70XIN
28th September 2010, 08:28 PM
Oh nice! I noticed the car ran a little on the rich side, so it could be that FPR, i might try and find a stock one and check things out.

Cheers Sam

Sam-Q
28th September 2010, 08:35 PM
I was going to ask you if it ran rich, the point of that vacuum line is so the fuel pressure is regulated according to the manifold vacuum, this stops the engine sucking more fuel out of the injectors or something like that. I suggest you try an original regulator and plub it where it's meant to be.

slide86
28th September 2010, 08:40 PM
the screw on the top makes it look adjustable......?

by having no vacumm line id say it has a base adjustment.....say 50psi then it just keeps that pressure right across the rev range. This is pretty much opposite to what the factory setup does.

Id say this might be robbing you of a few HP's and a few $$ at the bowser.......if its running as rich as you say

Sam-Q
28th September 2010, 08:46 PM
that was my thoughts as well. Either way it would be cheap and easy to try a stock one

70XIN
28th September 2010, 09:41 PM
Cheers guys. I will try to get my hands on a stock BT reg and give it a go

70XIN
29th September 2010, 11:02 PM
Well i might have to do some more thinking. I have a standard blacktop FPR on the way, but after pulling off the cam covers and having a good look at everything, it seems to have TODA-R 264 (9mm) cams, MHG, valvesprings, as well as a big garage-annex sticker across the ecu (possibly chipped?).

Fun times. Good to know it has all these mods i didn't know of ;) but means more to sort out. Heh.

Oh and I tried hooking the charcoal canister up to that vacuum port on the 4th throttle, but it dropped the revs by ~300-400 and the thing hardly ran.

Delazy
29th September 2010, 11:21 PM
having only just looked at this thread...that FPR you have is a toms style adjustable...see them pop up on ebay every now and then...

Sam-Q
29th September 2010, 11:21 PM
is your idle control valve hooked up?

70XIN
29th September 2010, 11:53 PM
Cheers delazy :)

And yes Sam, ISCV is hooked up (just cleaned it today), and is taking in lovely unfiltered air from under the quads (the top hose is hooked up as it should be, but the other has no hose going to it .. my guess becauseof the lack of airbox).

biggo
30th September 2010, 07:01 AM
you need to plumb it before the throttle body. Easiest way is to add a 3mm nipple to one of your trumpets. You're good with metal, do some tricks and make it work.