PDA

View Full Version : tvis or no tvis

johl
5th October 2010, 07:16 PM
Car - ae86

motor - ae101gze

use -dust gatherer

hey guys just piecing together my 4a and am converting it from gze to gte. anywho long story short i am up to deciding what sort of intake setup i want to use and am unsure. i would love a custom hypertune one but with custom fuel rail and throttle body i got quoted 2.5k. i dont think i would gain enough to warrant spending that much.

my other option is to use a factory inlet manifold. and here lays the question. is it worth it trying to find a good condition tvis unit or try and find/build a plate to replace the butterflies?

i have done some reading and a few people have said that with forced induction and quite a few mods tvis will limit the power made and the power loss down low made by not using the tvis is almost negligable.

also how much is a good intake and tvis worth?

any help would be appreciated

cheers johl

ke70dave
5th October 2010, 10:25 PM
best bet is to do back to back dyno runs, 1 with a gutted TVIS, 1 with a full tvis open, and one with full tvis closed.

then tell your ECU to open up the TVIS where the power crosses over.

and if you want a TVIS plate i have a stack, make an offer and come and get one.

Hen may possibly be a nut
6th October 2010, 01:00 AM
Maybe I missed something obvious, but won't your head be smallport, and therefore no TVIS (and TVIS plate/bigport manifold won't suit port spacing).

Personally I wouldn't bother to fit TVIS on a turbo motor.

Hen

johl
6th October 2010, 05:48 PM
yes you are completely right hen. i dont know much about n/a and just assumed the ports were the same size on the intake manifolds. duh.

so it seems i will be going small port intake as it should be the easiest option

Skylar
7th October 2010, 11:52 PM
It's either T3 smallport->bigport adaptor +/- TVIS + RWD bigport manifold or relocated tb on FWD smallport manifold. So I think you can leave TVIS on there if you'd like.