View Full Version : 3rzfe into an AE86

jimmy19650
6th October 2010, 12:28 AM
CAR - AE86
MOTOR - 3rzfe
USE - Road/track
PROBLEM/QUESTION - Just picked up a 3rzfe with gearbox and computer. Am looking at fitting to one of my AE86s. Has anyone done this conversion recently? Just trying to find out any pitfalls etc on this conversion, or any genuine help. Have done a search but could not find anything helpful on this forum, or other forums.

Have done many conversions into AE86s in past (1uz, 1ggte, 1ggze and 4a-ge/ze/te) so please only facts.

Hen may possibly be a nut
6th October 2010, 12:56 AM
There was a very short writeup on Toymods by a guy who'd put one into a KE55 (long ago... maybe even the old forums)?? He claimed it was pretty straight forward. Height seemed to be the main issue from memory.

But if you have the motor and a car then a few evenings with an engine crane should answer most of your questions.

Hen

Nicko
6th October 2010, 08:12 AM
Awesome conversion Idea.

They get big numbers out of the forced 3RZ-FE

They aren't a really "revvy" engine out of the box, and I think that supercharging would be the best approach for one of these if you wanted it to be forced induction for the track.

I have a 3RZ in my ute, and I can see great potential

matt99
6th October 2010, 05:47 PM
As Hen said, I have never seen, but heard that into a KE (possibly that same 55) the height is the only real issue.

jimmy19650
6th October 2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys. I will be picking up the engine this weekend so haven't measured as yet.I found some pics of one in what looked like a t18, and there is a well advertised 3rz in a s14 or s15 putting out over 600hp. From what I have researched, there is lots of gear in the states for these motors, and they get heaps of power out of a standard engine(400hp +) as long as you keep boost to under 9psi, and you keep revs to under 6500. I like the idea of the torque of these suckers normally aspirated also. I stumbled over an interesting fact when enquiring about the $2000 new 3rzfe bare motors that are advertised for sale. They are actually a 3rzfe built under licence in china for toyota.

It seems that some people are getting 1000hp from a built 3rz in the states, remembering these are actually bigger than an RB26TT and 1jz.
As far as height etc is concerned, bonnet mods, crossmember spacers and even dry sumping are all options, And ive done them all before so shouldnt be a problem.

It appears the w56 gearbox they use are the same as a w58/7, which is what I use behind the 1ggte and lexus, I will probably use a G series diff like I have with the lexus as it is easy to get more brackets laser cut. The f series diff will probably work also but I have never used these.

Will keep you posted when i get the measuring stick out.

Drift_Donkey
6th October 2010, 11:43 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/3/1/6/5/550869.jpg

This is a 2rz in an ae86. They are a little smaller than the 3rz.

I think a few guys in the U.S are doing this conversion a fair bit. I think the main issues will be the height of the motor and the sump.

Nicko
7th October 2010, 08:17 AM
Word around the campfire is that the stock 3RZFE bottom end is good for up to about 700HP

The factory 3RZ-FE ECU also has built in capability for running a supercharger

There is a genuine TRD supercharger kit available for the 3RZFE for $10K

When you source your engine, get it out of a hilux with the chassis number starting with a "J" (Japanese Built) not an "M" (malaysian built).

fantapants
7th October 2010, 09:59 AM
there is also a problem of rear sump or front sump?

and the height i believe is the main sticking point.

Biggus
7th October 2010, 06:49 PM
How much do they weigh?

jimmy19650
11th October 2010, 12:10 PM
Ok. Finally got the motor home. Gearbox is a W series box, W56 from what I am told. It appears to have an opening at the top of the bell housing that I am not sure about.
I measured the height of the engine, from the bottom of the block, not the sump, to the highest point on the engine. This measurement ended up at 550mm. I quickly measured a 4age, and they came in at about 490mm. Which is a 60mm difference in height. Interestingly, the 3rz block is 50mm taller than the 4age block, even though it has about a 17mm longer stroke.

As for the weight of the engine, lets say that judging by how difficult it was to lift engine into a trailer, it's quite heavy. I'll get an accurate weight measurement as soon as I can track down a few bathroom scales.

I was quite impressed at how compact the engine loom was, and cant see any difficulties in fitting these engines into an ae86. The exhaust header seemed quite efficient also. The engine I have is a rear sump, so should fit quite easily.

Next step will be lowering one in, at which time I will post some pics.

jimmy19650
11th October 2010, 12:20 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/22/!B3vI)wQCGk~$(KGrHqUOKicEyY6FlIHIBMnU0Yv02!~~_35.J PG

Here's a pic of the engine, complete with box.

Gunner
11th October 2010, 12:25 PM
You'll need a front sump to have any chance of getting it in an 88.

fantapants
11th October 2010, 12:41 PM
yeah rear sump is not an easy option.

from the depths of memory the front sumps were on like a prado variant or something???

jimmy19650
11th October 2010, 10:22 PM
Had a quick measure up, and yes, a front sump will definately be needed, and I think it will need to be shortened or at least modified to clear. May need to shorten sump then fit blisters to increase capacity. I think even a front sump will need to be modified to lower the engine in the bay. Off to the wreckers tomorrow

http://www.aeu86.org/download/almost-there/id/12738.jpg

Here's a fabricated front sump that looks ok

http://www.aeu86.org/download/ae86/id/12971.jpg

Installed in a TA63

http://www.aeu86.org/download/ae86/id/12979.jpg

3rz in a TA63

Gunner
11th October 2010, 10:30 PM
thats a sick manifold

jimmy19650
12th October 2010, 10:53 AM
Had a look at a prado front sump. I think it will need to be modified also as it sit very low and is stepped to clear the front diff. I think it would be easier to cut, and rotate a rear sump and modify oil pickup.

I found a picture of a prado front sump in an old toyomods thread to show what I mean. There is a sump available that will suit this conversion but was only available in the 93 toyota t100 2WD in the states with the 3rz engine.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9097/3rzsumpsy7.jpg

Plelz
15th November 2010, 05:31 PM
How do these engines affect front rear weight balance? Cast iron 2.7 litre block has gotta weigh a ton..... wouldnt it stuff the handling of a KE70?
Only reason I ask is coz I want to put one in my KE70 but I dont know enuf about them.

FAST EDDIE
15th November 2010, 07:28 PM
these engines sit crooked in the hiluxs, standing it straiht will affect the oil pick up, i was pondering this the other day when i drove a hilux with one in, fairly perky in a hilux with the stock ecu tune, good potential i rekon!!

ke_70
15th November 2010, 07:34 PM
+1
this is the same with the beams. alot of people mount them straight up. not on an angle.

lappy
9th November 2011, 12:40 AM
I know its a year later, sorry fellas, but if anyone wants to see this im doing this conversion into a 70: http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/27739-KE70-autocross-car

Hokey
19th January 2012, 10:05 PM
just wondering what people are paying for these engines? 2rzfe same potential for performance as 3rz? want to put one in my corona

Nicko
19th January 2012, 10:13 PM
bear in mind that the 2rz is 300cc smaller, which is a fair whack, power figures aren't far off from the 3rz stock...

2rz is from a 98-2004 model "rzn" series hilux internationally as well as the hiace vans we got here so there should be a few around.

I've heard stories around the campfire that the 3rz internals are good for up to 800 odd HP.

2rz + turbo should be heaps of fun

Ebays says
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?rt=nc&Product Type=Engines%2C Components&_nkw=toyota 2rz&_dmpt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

$1500 - $2500 but I reckon if you pestered the right wrecker you could almost get it cheaper, or even get a wrecked 3rz frontcut for that