PDA

View Full Version : 15x10 Superlites

bigm
9th October 2010, 09:27 PM
Hey Guys..

Does anyone know the difference in design between -26 and -12 superlites?

I only realized today when i was prepping mine for paint that they gave me -26 not -12 like i ordered

Is the difference as simple as the mounting surface having 14mm of extra meat? that could be machined off?

any light on the topic or pics/measurements from a -12 wheel would be good

THankyou all

KurtHS
9th October 2010, 10:07 PM
The hub/mounting surface of the rim is closer to the inside edge of the rim the higher the - value. Which means a -26 will poke beyond the bodywork more than a -12.

bigm
9th October 2010, 10:11 PM
i know that........

What i want to know is the difference in wheel design. is the neg 26 have 14mm more of metal on the mounting surface? or is it a different design all together.

KurtHS
9th October 2010, 10:39 PM
heh ok the way it's worded seemed like you were asking about that.

I'll take measurements from my 12's tomorrow if you want? You just want to know the thickness of the hub? I'd say they're a different design for sure, more offset, more lip/concave not just a thicker hub.

bigm
10th October 2010, 07:55 AM
yea a measurment of the thickness of the hub would be grand thanks

Delazy
10th October 2010, 01:06 PM
fairly sure with the super lights its exactly as you stated...the hub is machined more so...

KurtHS
10th October 2010, 06:42 PM
~28mm

OMG866
10th October 2010, 06:57 PM
The wheel dimensions are the same eg. 15x10 its just the offset. - 12 is 12mm of centre and -26 is 26mm back from centre. the wheel will have alittle more poke out your gaurds but it will look awsome.

correct me if i am wrong with the offset tech?

bigm
10th October 2010, 07:05 PM
mine being ~41mm. There is the 14mm Give or take.

Thanks heaps for that Kurt

KurtHS
10th October 2010, 09:19 PM
Happy to prove myself wrong man, seems a bit of a shit kick for them to be made like that, is this common? I guess they're on the cheaper end of the scale so obviously they can't make X amount of designs.

mitchy
10th October 2010, 09:23 PM
new wheel molds are $70 000

they probley make all -26 then macine down to -12 afterwards

bigm
10th October 2010, 09:43 PM
The wheel dimensions are the same eg. 15x10 its just the offset. - 12 is 12mm of centre and -26 is 26mm back from centre. the wheel will have alittle more poke out your gaurds but it will look awsome.

correct me if i am wrong with the offset tech?

You are right mate, we are just trying to work out if it was a different hub design/mould or the same one with more machined off to achieve -12

Happy to prove myself wrong man, seems a bit of a shit kick for them to be made like that, is this common? I guess they're on the cheaper end of the scale so obviously they can't make X amount of designs.

Not sure how common it is, anyone?
It may be, as when i was looking at work wheels, there are some wheels in the same size in different offsets but same face measurement/dish, so the only difference can be the hub?

new wheel molds are $70 000

they probley make all -26 then macine down to -12 afterwards

at $70g a mould i wouldnt be making another one for a small market when they can be machined pretty cheap i imagine

Anyone know how hard it would be to machine the back of the hub down?

mitchy
10th October 2010, 10:06 PM
wouldnt be hard at all go to any machine shop

would take approx 10mins to set up each wheel and about 5 mins macining

or just make em fit pussy :P

bigm
10th October 2010, 10:10 PM
They fit, but they are a bit mexican, guards have been pumped as far as possible.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/7/2/53743.jpg

I also want to run a 205 instead of a 195 thats on in the pic. 14mm will go a long way to helping this

mitchy
10th October 2010, 10:13 PM
a bolt on would suit that well i think

but sure macine away :)

KurtHS
10th October 2010, 11:27 PM
I have 195's on my 10's and I was thinking about going 205, so you should definitely put pictures up once you have changed to the 205's, 205/?/? What colour are you going? I'm going that Superlight charcoal sort of colour to match my front 8's.

Lookin' sick.

bigm
11th October 2010, 08:08 AM
IV painted one of the black, will work best with my wheels i think.

Going a 205/50 r15

Check my build thread for more pics to come :)

boost+k
12th October 2010, 08:17 PM
be careful when machining, i don't know what these wheels are like but normally after your machine the rear to set the offset you would then machine a taper in the front (for wheel-nuts) and oversize the tube so you can get the nut in there, sooo if you machine more afterwards its too thing because of the taper in the front end

it could be thick depending on wheel design but it would mean you'd need longer wheel studs, but normally you can't safley machine more than 4-5mm from a wheel

bigm
12th October 2010, 10:35 PM
be careful when machining, i don't know what these wheels are like but normally after your machine the rear to set the offset you would then machine a taper in the front (for wheel-nuts) and oversize the tube so you can get the nut in there, sooo if you machine more afterwards its too thing because of the taper in the front end

it could be thick depending on wheel design but it would mean you'd need longer wheel studs, but normally you can't safley machine more than 4-5mm from a wheel

Yes I had a look at this and could be an issue. I assume they drill the holes according to the ordered PCD and offset so normal studs can be used.

Think im just going to try and a different subframe to make them fit, celica one SHOULD help this.