PDA

View Full Version : how do I get the stock tacho working on CA18 KE70??

20v ae71
10th October 2010, 06:58 PM
Car - KE70

motor - CA18DET

use - Daily

problem - I want a tacho but dont want a fag aftermarket one

Hey all, got a CA18DET running stock ECU and i want a tacho but want to keep shit as suss as possible so no extra gauges..
Anyone know a way to get the original tacho working?? WITHOUT resorting to cutting up my dash and fitting an aftermarket one in the scock hole.
I remember seeing this box of tricks where you could put a wire from the ignition or coil or something into it and it spat out a signal that the stock tacho could use, cant remember where i saw it tho.

Cheers!
Dillon

slide86
10th October 2010, 07:24 PM
yellow with a red trace coming off the ecu is the tacho output signal from the ecu.......

(hope those hubs are going ok for you)

20v ae71
10th October 2010, 07:36 PM
ahhh ok so if i hook that up to the black wire coming off the original tacho, which i figured out is the original sigal wire, will my tacho work?

and yeah cheers man! coilovers havnt got here yet but i'm sure they'll be here sometime this week lol

Hokey
11th October 2010, 09:39 AM
taco won't work straight away. fair bit of mucking around with resistors etc. my auto elec gave it a shot in my car couldn't get it working so just put an aftermarket taco in. worked straight away

Hen may possibly be a nut
11th October 2010, 07:18 PM
If you have a coil, run a wire from the negative side of it to the tacho signal wire.

If not then you need a tacho convertor or tacho booster which takes the 5V tacho output from the ECU and turns it into what the dash tacho wants to see. There's a few how-to's on Toymods if you need them.

NFI what ignition is used on a CA, but one of them should work.

Skylar
11th October 2010, 08:13 PM
You needs one of dem converter thingos. CA18 runs COP. serch taco tek

LittleRedSpirit
30th April 2011, 10:41 AM
I made a thread in tech articles about how to modify your tacho for this purpose, so you dont need aftermarket gauges.