PDA

View Full Version : Flipped meshies

Ke70alex
10th October 2010, 11:40 PM
Have jst flipped my meshies and have yet to get tyres for them, i have heard there can be some issues with flipped wheels. I was wondering if anyone has any advice or info for me, thanks.

Sam-Q
10th October 2010, 11:43 PM
have you done a search? hey post a pic

rxbenny
10th October 2010, 11:43 PM
Valve location

Sam-Q
10th October 2010, 11:46 PM
ok I tottaly overlooked that one, bearing load too

Ke70alex
10th October 2010, 11:54 PM
yeah i will get a pic up soon .. i know that people do run them, but one of my mates works at a tyre place and told me there is no way of balancing them .. i think even flipped they should be strong enough but im not sure what issues may arise ..

Sam-Q
10th October 2010, 11:57 PM
I don't see how it will be any different with balancing

Ke70alex
11th October 2010, 12:01 AM
i didnt either but i more concerned if it affects the strength of the wheel, i will be running them on the front ..

Sam-Q
11th October 2010, 12:06 AM
depending on the design of the wheel it can actually be stronger in the end that in the unflipped state

svenmate
11th October 2010, 12:30 AM
Your valve may not clear the caliper. If its a 14" RockRacing/Volk with any standard sized valve then it should clear adm/jdm ae86 and corolla brakes no worries. Just spin the wheel before you lower the car. :)

Sam is right, more stress is put on the bearings as the weight of the car and forces of the suspension is put on just the small inside of the wheel and tyre as opposed to the middle. Much wider wheels can have lower offset because the weight and forces of the vehicle are more evenly distributed on the wheel and tire. It shouldn't be a problem but I wouldn't trust it too much for daily use.

Not sure if that makes sense. Its been a long day. lol

Pics can help :)

Ke70alex
11th October 2010, 12:09 PM
they are ssr formula mesh 14x6.5 i think http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=154551097895842&set=t.1093210816

blair
11th October 2010, 12:20 PM
fail.

ae71
11th October 2010, 02:03 PM
you cant talk blair im sure you used to run 6.5J not too long ago!

should be fine but just keep in mind of a bearing failure. also wheels studs are put under a bit more stress. the actual wheels should be fine.

i was going to do this on my car at one stage but it was a little too much offset for the guards so i went normal side up and used spacers instead.

blair
11th October 2010, 03:07 PM
Yeh i ran 6.5 +6... NOT flipped!

from the looks of it... those wheels would of been more like +25

and are now more like -50.

ae71
11th October 2010, 03:52 PM
it may look a little silly but would have epic track i guess....

timbo
11th October 2010, 04:25 PM
i really don't understand why people even bother doing this, it just seems like such a hassle especially when you have to jump on here or on google to make sure its safe! just save up and buy some decent wheels with the dimensions and offset you so badly crave.

Sam-Q
11th October 2010, 05:29 PM
pic isnt working for me

ae71
11th October 2010, 06:05 PM
this is what mine looked like when i tested them flipped

tyre is 185/65

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3682/1003176c.jpg (http://img18.imageshack.us/i/1003176c.jpg/)

AJPS
11th October 2010, 06:32 PM
bump steer is another issue

ke70dave
11th October 2010, 06:47 PM
can you get some exact figures of the wheels. both unflipped and flipped.

take the following measurements:

exact distance from the edge to edge of the rim, NOT the tire bead
exact distance from the mounting face to the inside edge of the wheel (NOT the tire bead) for both the unflipped and flipped states.

i will do it up in solid works. and show you the effects.

AJPS: this has no effect on bump steer at all. you are thinking about scrub radius issues.

blair
11th October 2010, 06:50 PM
Tyre bulge is another issue.

ae71
11th October 2010, 08:43 PM
i didnt use them like that, note only 1 nut was on in the photo. took them off, put them back to normal and used spacers.

AJPS
11th October 2010, 08:57 PM
can you get some exact figures of the wheels. both unflipped and flipped.

take the following measurements:

exact distance from the edge to edge of the rim, NOT the tire bead
exact distance from the mounting face to the inside edge of the wheel (NOT the tire bead) for both the unflipped and flipped states.

i will do it up in solid works. and show you the effects.

AJPS: this has no effect on bump steer at all. you are thinking about scrub radius issues.

thats another point too

But the more the wheel sits out front the hub the greater leverage it has..

I went from -4 offset to 0 offset and there was noticeably less bump steer and it more compliant mid corner.

Brakes can increase the effect as well. Heavy brakes on the end of a strut can work like a slide hammer with a big weight on it

ke70dave
11th October 2010, 09:28 PM
leverage affects your "percieved" spring rate, i guess you would call it.

if we are going to get technical, its the change in moment on the spring (moment = force x distance, distance is changing)

if your wheel sticks out futher your springs will "seem" to be softer, since like you say, the greater leverage on the springs.

but this is not changing bump steer.

what you will be changing is the amount of travel your suspension will be using, and if you go within the bump steer range, then i guess you will experience more. but thats a secondary effect of the lower offset wheel. its not creating MORE bump steer, your just going to experince the bumpsteer if you enter the "bump steer range" in teh suspension travel.

also im not sure you would notice a 4mm change in length of lever arm, over a length of 500mm? perhaps more?

in fact you would notice more compliance in the suspension if you made your wheel more negative offset (Stick out more) since the lever arm is being increased. (i think you are describing the opposite of this?)

Sam-Q
11th October 2010, 09:41 PM
all the comments about extra load and a unwanted change in the scrub radius is true but flipped wheels can not be critised for this any more than the negative offset wheels which are so popular on here.

Also I think an extra valve hole could be drilled, sure it would be kooky having 2 valve holes but who would know?

Ke70alex
11th October 2010, 10:15 PM
hahaha guys guys, relax, i picked up a the pair for $55 so i cant complain .. they do stick wayyyyyyyyy out of the front guards and i really wanna run them up front, do you think it would be smarter to run them on the front or rear??

ae71
11th October 2010, 11:36 PM
put them back to normal and use spacers so you dont have to fuck the guards up.

Ke70alex
12th October 2010, 12:06 PM
dont give a fuck about the guards, more concerned about bearings etc