PDA

View Full Version : Any1 know if rollcages are legal in NSW?

Carslake
17th October 2010, 10:52 PM
??

Cheers

corknose
18th October 2010, 07:14 AM
Front cages are totally illegal can't get them engineered or anything. But rear cages are legal if engineered and it's an idea to keep it well padded.

Gunner
18th October 2010, 07:19 AM
In short, NO.

read this
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_06_-_guidelines_for_light_vehicle_modifications_nov_20 07.pdf

basically if a rollcage impedes on anything written on that page it will not be legal. a roll cage will protrude into the cabin, and will alter the factory crash zone, therefore technically they are illegal, it's not very clear, but you can be defected for it.

There are ways around it (rear half cage, vehicle re-engineered as a 2 seater) but, even engineered you can still be defected for it.

and if you have seen what happens in a road accident (i dont mean a little bump, I mean a proper prang) to the occupants of a car with a full cage, that lets go, you wouldn't want one. Think about if you or your mrs has to be cut out of the car quickly, and there is a buckled cro-moly cage in the way, it's jst not going to happen, that time could be why you just jilled your mrs, imo cages on the road are STUPID. They are for race cars, and thats wat they should stay.

Don't believe me go down to your local fire station and ask them about it, after all they will be the ones that have to cut you out of the car if you prang it.

Moebius
18th October 2010, 10:27 AM
Not to mention what a cage will do to your head in a crash if you're not wearing a helmet.

corknose
18th October 2010, 12:00 PM
Hence the reason you pad it.

redsprinter
18th October 2010, 01:22 PM
In short, NO.

Think about if you or your mrs has to be cut out of the car quickly, and there is a buckled cro-moly cage in the way, it's jst not going to happen, that time could be why you just jilled your mrs, imo cages on the road are STUPID. They are for race cars, and thats wat they should stay.

Don't believe me go down to your local fire station and ask them about it, after all they will be the ones that have to cut you out of the car if you prang it.

got to agree with this .. street cars dont need it .. .

corknose
18th October 2010, 05:18 PM
Street registered track cars cars that go to track that are driven daily there's a couple of reasons why you would want to.

Gunner
18th October 2010, 05:55 PM
I can understand that cal, but when you see the aftermath you will change your tune.

But most cages on the road, are simple bolt ins for roll over protection only, and on the road, that is very very unlikely to happen with out stupidity involved, a bolt in 6 point, in a head on or side on collusion will cause you more harm than good.

And at the end of the day, and from a mature point of veiw, a car thats that much of a track should not be on the road, especially daily driven. I know there is a point in the middle, but still.

corknose
18th October 2010, 06:21 PM
What about weld in?

Gunner
18th October 2010, 06:47 PM
Same shit dude, if it were full 21 point sucker it would be a different matter, its just your basic cage can be harmful in a road accident.

corknose
18th October 2010, 07:28 PM
say rear legs go down hatch and a cross in the back normal hoop over the top x on the roof door instrutions through dash ect. but only rear is weld in?

Gunner
18th October 2010, 07:46 PM
doesnt matter what combination you have cal, if you are in a car with a cage, you prang it on the road, it may very well make matters worse. Not much more to say dude lol.

corknose
18th October 2010, 07:47 PM
fuck.. ah well

ach_66
18th October 2010, 07:57 PM
I know shit all about this, but in my experience (not much), crashes in general are very unpredictable, its difficult to say whether having a cage would be better or worse depending on the type of impact, in fact it could be good. I'm sure there would be plenty of cases where a bolt in cage has saved the occupants. But as Gunner has said above, it could quite easily be the opposite.

Carslake
18th October 2010, 07:58 PM
thanks man , wasnt really looking to do it ,just have been wondering for ages after seeing a few bolt ins around

Gunner
18th October 2010, 08:10 PM
My biggest hang up is when you get trapped in a car, 1 minute could save your life, a cage will impede the rescuer to getting to you. Sure there will always be times where it may very well save your life but alot of the time, its not the case.

I was unlucky enough as a youngin to see this sort of thing, my old man is a superintendant for the RFS, when I first got my licence i was sat down with a folder of pics from accidents. They are still vivid in my memory till this day, hence my stance against alot of idiotic behaviour on the road. But I can remember my old man pointing out the cars with cages, and not one out of about 15 benefitted the driver. One bloke who was still concious, had his legs amputated at the scene as the cage had crushed his legs into the foot well from just above his ankles, he had ran up the back of a cement truck in the wet, so the whole front end caved, including the cage, that was it no more walking, he had no other injuries, but the cage caused him to lose his legs.

Gunner
18th October 2010, 08:19 PM
Just remember cal, bolt ins were designed for a reason, not as a cheap option, cause a good one isnt cheap. But so they could be removed when the car wasnt on the track.

corknose
19th October 2010, 09:41 AM
Touché.

77crown
19th October 2010, 09:53 AM
*crosses off cage from want list* thanks gunner for enlightening us.