PDA

View Full Version : 16v and 20v hg another thread cos i cant find the other one

FAST EDDIE
20th October 2010, 09:19 PM
Car - toyota sprinter

motor - 20 valveee

use - sits in my shed

problem - i like to ask questions on here so sam q comes and answers them for me

occurs/started when - i got the internet

personal situation - have a girlfriend.

so just looking at the headgaskets again, now i left the discusion last time at 16v hg no good in 20v- reason water jackets different for 20v to 16v.............. now ive been pondering:right: reason hg are different because 20v has rad hose out back of head, so when you change the rad hoses to near rwd setup (no hose coming out back of head) would it not be better to use the 16v gasket as it has the water jacket allowances for the pipe out the front of the head???

Sam-Q
21st October 2010, 07:57 PM
hahaha you a funny guy Eddie. Easy question and once again the info on club4ag is crap.

From my cooling guide right near the end:

"There is some false information being circulated that because the re-routed cooling system design is like that of a 16V engine then a 16V gasket should be used, this is completely false. Because the flow direction is only changed on a portion of the 20V head the flow from the block to the head remains the same; that is from the front of the block to the back of the head. This is unlike the 16V where the water goes into the front of the block and out the front of the head. So therefore by using a 16V gasket on a 20V head the rear cylinders will be run cooler than the front."

That said there is a way to convert a 20V to a true 16V water path where it uses a 16V gasket. I machined up some parts for it, lets just say a welsh plug has to be knocked out of the front of the head for a new water outlet for it to work.

FAST EDDIE
21st October 2010, 08:05 PM
ooohhh nardidnt read it on net just was pondering it myself lol, it all makes sense now, how do 20vs go compared to 16v with cooling, i couldnt keep my turbs 16v cool even with all the genuine jdm cooling gear on it, thats what became the end of it!!

Sam-Q
21st October 2010, 08:18 PM
with cooling in what regard? keeping cool in general? should be the same all over.

FAST EDDIE
22nd October 2010, 06:57 PM
yeah just not overheating it

Sam-Q
22nd October 2010, 07:05 PM
will be the same, they share the same basic layout