PDA

View Full Version : SR20 to RB20 box in KE70? Let the hate rain down...

Plelz
21st October 2010, 06:14 PM
Yeah, going SR20det with my KE. A mate of mine is selling an RB20 gearbox and I thought as mates rates are implied that I should grab it. I have heard alot of talk and just want to confirm a few things before purchase.

Questions:
[1] Does attatching an RB20 nissan skyline gearbox to a SR20det (instead of the standard silvia gearbox) mean you dont have to cut a new shifter hole (or it is at least not as far back as the silvia box would put it)?

[2]Is it just an SR bellhousing that you need to attatch the RB box to an SR motor?

[3] I think it is because of torque ratings and such but ill ask anyways. Is it stronger than a stock silvia box?

Finally, Are there any mega downsides to putting one of these behind an SR20det and into a KE70?

Some answers would be awesome.
Cheers

Sam-Q
21st October 2010, 06:28 PM
I don't know much about nissan stuff but I know for sure that the gearbox between the ca18/sr/rb20 have the same gearset.

To get the RB shifter a hybrid box is made, the rear half is swapped or something. As in the RB shifter/rear half of the gearbox with the SR front half

There will be many members on here who could elaborate more.

Plelz
21st October 2010, 06:32 PM
Just read in Matt-AE86's thread that he ran an s13 sr20det with an rb20 gearbox. He did this by attatching an sr20 bellhousing to the rb20 box... not sure of any further details.

Delazy
21st October 2010, 06:34 PM
Just read in Matt-AE86's thread that he ran an s13 sr20det with an rb20 gearbox. He did this by attatching an sr20 bellhousing to the rb20 box... not sure of any further details.

exactly that...fairly straight forward...

70XIN
21st October 2010, 07:29 PM
1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Just as strong

FAST EDDIE
21st October 2010, 07:35 PM
^yes.

bigm
21st October 2010, 09:57 PM
i did the same

Shifter position is 80mm Futher forward if i remember correctly.

Bell Housing Bolts up and winner.

Same Clutch and everything

No Hate here

bigm
21st October 2010, 10:06 PM
ps, will not work with s15 box

Plelz
21st October 2010, 10:35 PM
Cheers for the answers guys. But I have more...

bigm: is the shifter position 80mm forward from where a silvia box would be?

Another question. Can you use an AE71 pedal box and cylinder to operate the clutch of the RB20 box? If no, what do I use?

leigh4110
21st October 2010, 10:50 PM
80mm forward from where the silvia box would be. yes.

yes you can use the ae71 pedal box and cyl to operate the rb20 box. they all use the same master/slave cylinder. if u check my forsale thread, u will see how far back the shifter goes with the sr/ca bellhousing on an rb box.

leigh4110
21st October 2010, 10:50 PM
i had to cut 50mm back towards the handbrake to have enough room for the shifter.

stx-16
22nd October 2010, 03:39 AM
im just using an s14 box on mine i doesn't sit that far back i like it more then the std position

Plelz
22nd October 2010, 10:43 AM
The only reason im going with the RB20 box is coz a mate of mine is sellin one in good condition (mates rates for the win!).

Thats awesome that the AE71 pedal box and cylinder works on the RB... money not wasted then. As I was originally going to go GZE but with this box up for sale i decided to whip out the spice weazel and kick it up a notch, BAM!

Cheers for all the help guys, pickin up the box this weekend. Shweet.

KE70
22nd October 2010, 03:43 PM
Just to throw a spanner in the thread, does it also work with RB25 boxes?

RB20 boxes are not renounded to hold up to much punishment but with a SR and light KE shell you should be fine.

sundee
22nd October 2010, 04:14 PM
Use the vq 30 box , been done plenty of times because the sr box's never hold up

bigm
22nd October 2010, 05:38 PM
rb25 and vq30 and vg35(i think) all require custom bellhousings.

And pretty sure they are bigger boxes.

Getting the Sr/rb box in a standard tunnel is enough imo, unless you plan on making a new one.

H8CHIR6KU
22nd October 2010, 06:51 PM
just word of advice when you do it

make sure you only split the from of the bell housing from the center. if you split the back half your gonna hall to pull shit apart to reseal it properly. dont go light when you use sealant to put it back together. and make sure that you put back the big washer that sits in the front bellhousing behind the front plate. these tend to fall out and very easy to not notice.

FAST EDDIE
22nd October 2010, 06:56 PM
leigh pidwell had a 25 box in his ke and it fit but touching both sides of the tunnell.

rb20 boxes wil not have an issue if it is in good condition and you use good oil

also there is 2 different types of top plates for the shifter pos, i think s13 is more foward than the rb one but we havent put them together to check,

Plelz
22nd October 2010, 11:47 PM
So, to run the RB20 box in the tunnel of a KE requires little to no modification of the tunnel itself?

And, in order to have the shifter a little further forward, use an S13 top plate? Is this woth the hassle?

Evocom
23rd October 2010, 09:03 AM
So, to run the RB20 box in the tunnel of a KE requires little to no modification of the tunnel itself?

And, in order to have the shifter a little further forward, use an S13 top plate? Is this woth the hassle?
Use the top plate from the rb box. I have this combination in my Ke and haven't had much trouble. Smashed a 3rd gear synchro but its track only so takes a hiding. I put my next box together myself and it wasn't that hard to do. As said above just ensure all the washers and shims go back in and it'll be sweet.
My tunnel was originaly unmodified when installed by the previous owner but he boxed it out a bit at the front to make box changes a bit easier. My engine sits on a s13 crossmember so using custom mounts on the original crossmember may change this depending on you engine position.

bigm
23rd October 2010, 09:45 AM
to get my gearbox in, with the motor fairly low and far back with KE cross member, I stood on the cross member and and belted the tunnel with a 15pound sledge hammer, Worked a treat.

Not to much work really, all depends on how the motor sits though

Anthony
23rd October 2010, 10:18 AM
rb25de box is the same as the rb20 and works just as well. Maybe even better as its newer, so generally nicer. rb25det box is serious overkill, not to mention expensive. like running an R154.

FAST EDDIE
24th October 2010, 06:42 PM
i lied aobut the top plates being different, lol just checked and they are the same,

if using s13 engine xmember the gbox will clear the tunnel, if useing 86-ke engine xmember the tunnel will need to be modified

Sam-Q
24th October 2010, 08:48 PM
i lied aobut the top plates being different, lol just checked and they are the same,

if using s13 engine xmember the gbox will clear the tunnel, if useing 86-ke engine xmember the tunnel will need to be modified

how does that work? does the S13 crossmember let it sit lower?

stx-16
25th October 2010, 12:53 PM
yeah im using an ae71 cross member and i had to give the tunnel a little beating but only like 5mm

Sam-Q
25th October 2010, 02:36 PM
then wouldn't a 10mm crossmember spacer do the same thing?

FAST EDDIE
25th October 2010, 07:29 PM
yeah with the s13 xmember it sits heeps lower, with the ae it is limited by the sump hitting on the rack!

yer a spacer would do the same thing but i didnt think of that at the time id say itd be more like 15 20mm

stx-16
26th October 2010, 10:22 AM
i was going to make a spacer but then i found a sledge it seemed easier at the time and probably was

Sprinter Freak
7th March 2013, 11:09 PM
reviving this thread, so is definitely true that the rb25de box is the same as the rb20det box?

Skylar
8th March 2013, 11:00 AM
yes

Sprinter Freak
23rd March 2013, 07:55 PM
yes

cheers for clearing that up.

another thing, how much tunnel clearance do you have with the rb20 box after a bit of bashing? would you be able to change the box easily or would you have to take the engine out?