PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing, 4age RWD into Aust delivered 4ac AE86

RacerMelb
27th October 2010, 07:55 PM
Hey guys I know it has been don a million times, and I am sure there a hundred posts, but I couldnt find one to answer my question.

I have an genuine RWD 4age with loom and computer, going into my AE86, i need to paint the engine bay and fit the engine and have it drivable in 2 days.

All the emementry things like clutch, engine mounts, radiator hoses ect are simple and all there, the 2 questions I have are
1: Alternator, do I still need the external reg that is part of the AE86 loom or will the new loom take care of making the external obsolete, if so is the any other mod I need to do to make it work.

2: the computer mounts in the passenger side of the vehicle do I need to run power to the computer from internal or will this simply take care of itself with wiring to the alternator and battery via the alternator.

Also if there is anyone who has done this conversion and had anything catch them out that was not forseen I would appreciate the input.

Cheers
Jon

Hen may possibly be a nut
27th October 2010, 08:31 PM
1: New alternator is internally regged. The external one on the shock tower becomes obsolete. Just connect up the main feed and the 3 wire plug to the 4AGE alternator and eveything is set.

2: I'm a little sketchy here, so double check this. You need to run power to the ECU (may be included in the loom you have, can't comment more not knowing the loom). The power wires (BATT, B+, etc) are on one plug which is part of the body loom. The other two plugs are part of the engine loom. Just check you have the third plug and know where all the wires should go. A wiring diagram is mandatory.

In my opinion 2 days is optimistic given that small but time consuming gremlins have a habit of popping up.

Hen

RacerMelb
27th October 2010, 08:59 PM
Cheers Hen

Greatly appreciated to have your input.

Nikkojoe
28th October 2010, 03:18 PM
I'll post this one last time:

My Wiring Guide for bigports:

Alternator wiring info found here:
http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?title=Tech:Engine/A_Series/Alternator_Wiring_Diagram (not my work but use for a reference)
ADM AE86/AE71 Passenger side strut tower houses the external regulator for the 4ac alternator. 2 wires from the body side plug required are:

Yellow: Lamp (L)
Black Yellow: Ignition (IG)

Connect the appropriate wires using the diagrams from the link above (wire colours on new alternator plug may be the same as the ones on the car - usually the case if you use a fwd loom). The sense wire (S) is a white wire connected to battery, but I usually tap it into the bolt on strap (main battery feed - usually two thick white wires) as it goes to the battery terminal. Note that I recommend upgrading the bolt on strap wire currently used on your 4ac as the 4age alternator produces a higher output.

*Assuming bigport* When using my info, Refer to Club4AG AE86 ECU pinout/wiring diagram
Other then that:

-give ignition power to positive terminal on coil (usually a black/orange wire which connects to the ballast resistor on the old coil which you can use [I did], but you can make your own relay to power coil using the black/orange wire as an ignition trigger)

-On 14 pin plug, Pin 7 (+B1) and Pin 14 (+B ) can be connected together, and go to ignition (or can come off a relay you used for coil power)
-On 14 pin plug, Pin 6 (Batt) goes to constant battery 12V source (ie wire straight from positive terminal on your battery if you want)

For fail safe starting, you may also need to give power to injectors (Yellow wire found on 10Pin plug, Pin 10 (BF)) by joining a wire into the yellow wire and giving it 12V on iginition (again, use the same relay that you may have used for coil, but might be drawing too much current).

There ARE other ways to do it, and probably make it neater and more factory like but that works.

Fuel pump relay setup (if you dont have a factory COR relay).
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/8/9/2180.jpg

Needs a sticky for this thread

RacerMelb
28th October 2010, 04:38 PM
You my dear Sir are a CHAMPION........exactly what I was looking for