PDA

View Full Version : Starter Motor Options

timbo
30th October 2010, 12:20 PM
Gents,

The starter motor has died and gone to electrical motor heaven.

JDM AE86
SMALLPORT
JDM T50
QUITE HIGH COMP

Now I have searched the forums and google without much luck to be honest. Just wanting to know what are the best options for another starter motor; AE92 reduction, normal or a high torque.

All input is appreciated!

assassin10000
30th October 2010, 12:52 PM
Reduction starter w/heatshield is the best option.

Small motor, larger pentagon solenoid = WIN.

Large motor, small solenoid = Fail.

Andrew

timbo
30th October 2010, 01:11 PM
I will take a photo of the one currently on the car, maybe someone can tell what type it is? (I've never replaced a starter...) It does have a heat shield though. So reduction sounds the ducks nuts. Thanks assassin.

70XIN
30th October 2010, 05:50 PM
Yep, AE92 reduction ftw

timbo
2nd November 2010, 02:35 PM
well this has been quite a fuck around. wreckers that had a AE93 4AGE no longer have the motor... fail. no other wreckers had them and laughed at me... fail. hit up ashdown-ingram but no luck so they sent me over to auto electrics australia. within 2 minutes of telling them what i was after the guy came back with exactly what i was after! only problem was the power terminal was on the wrong side... long story short, the guy was a toyota nut with a 18r celica at home running a 22r reduction starter. so he got one and changed the front housing (that bolts onto the bell housing) over and it works perfectly! 12month warranty for $190. better than repco's quote of $550.