PDA

View Full Version : Diff Clunk

timbo
2nd November 2010, 06:54 PM
Lot's of issues this week!

Searched forum and google but couldn't find what was happening to me.

JDM AE86
KOUKI T SERIES
TRD 2 WAY

So after fixing the starter motor and exhaust manifold gasket I took the car for a drive only to discover a very loud and violent clunk through gear changes and hard acceleration or dropping the accelerator off abruptly.

I double checked the trailing arms, sway bar, shock mounts etc and they're all tight, so I guess its the diff itself. After a short highway drive the diff was too hot to touch, could it just be low on oil?

trikzlane
2nd November 2010, 07:05 PM
sounds like lash in the diff, but yes check oil

johl
2nd November 2010, 07:23 PM
yeh def sounds like the backlash needs adjusting. if you can just take off the nose cone from the diff (means you have to take the axels and shit off to do so) and take it to a gearbox or diff shop. will only take them 2 secs to fix

timbo
2nd November 2010, 07:36 PM
righto, well ill try some oil first seeing as thats easier then getting the diff out and if that fails, off to the diff shop!

blair
2nd November 2010, 08:03 PM
make sure the car is level when you fill it through the fill hole man! :)

timbo
2nd November 2010, 09:10 PM
haha yeah cheers mate! any oil recommendations? i was thinking about penrite lim slip 140.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/gear-oils/limslip_140

blair
2nd November 2010, 09:18 PM
thats what i use. the blue shit. It's thick lol and smells like week old unwashed banus.

timbo
2nd November 2010, 09:31 PM
cool beans, how much? im guessing i'll need 2 litres?

blair
2nd November 2010, 09:34 PM
Yeh, takes about 1.5 fromt memory.

Not sure about price, i got 2 x 1L bottles for a few pennies with my $500+ diff re-condition lol.

timbo
3rd November 2010, 01:20 PM
well got some diff oil, ended up with 90 repco stuff which is actuall made by penrite... only $14 so why the fuck not? diff is awesome! only a litre came out and over 1.5 went in.

clunk was still there...

had a closer look. broken top trailing arm! whiteline adjustable... sad panda.

H8CHIR6KU
3rd November 2010, 10:35 PM
serious? thats pretty sick. post a pic up

timbo
3rd November 2010, 11:06 PM
well trailing arms were tight, just one wasn't actually connected together... left upper trailing arm, whiteline adjustable. im pretty sure thread shouldn't look like this:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/3/1/1/3/56607.jpg

i bought the car with them installed so im trying to find out when they were installed by the previous owner. i emailed whiteline and a chap emailed be back straight away informing that this is a failure and isn't good enough. they possibly could be under warranty (i doubt it) but if not he will give me another pair discounted as "we still want you to have faith in our products and how we stand by them." so kudos to whiteline!