Car - ae86

motor - 4agte

use -project

problem - front wheel bearings wont fit on stub axles

occurs/started when - trying to fit

personal situation - spewing

OMG866
4th November 2010, 06:02 PM
BC Coilovers are good. Does this help you in any way???

svenmate
4th November 2010, 06:15 PM
Define 'won't fit'? I read somewhere that you do need to lightly and evenly tap them on if they are tight.

blinded
4th November 2010, 06:25 PM
Put strut in freezer.

Leave bearing in sun/oven.

May work?

billett86
4th November 2010, 06:27 PM
I tried to tap them on with a hammer took them to tyrepower still couldn't get it on and it's only the little ones
buying new ones tomorrow but hoping that works

Nikkojoe
4th November 2010, 07:20 PM
Interesting, though, at the same time not surprised that they may not fit. The version with stub axels included are somewhat new, but you would think that any issues in manufacturing process would have been eliminated before final shelf product.

Sometimes have trouble getting my hubs on, but only on the large rear bearing, not the front small one :/

Slimer86
5th November 2010, 11:16 AM
I probably wouldn't suggest going the suggested press fit route as suggested by blinded.
Can you return them to the supplier?
It sounds like the stub axle has been machined oversize on that diameter.
It would only need to be a few microns over to give you a press-fit, but going by the sound of it, it is greater than 0.10mm oversize.
The stub axle is not designed to be a press fit, and I am not sure how you would go (removing them again later)if you do get them installed and heat cycle them a few times.

ke_70
5th November 2010, 11:39 AM
do as blinded said

if that doesnt work get some emory tape and sand away till they fit

dont hit it with a hammer if you can help it

billett86
5th November 2010, 01:36 PM
got new bearings still don't fit trying to get in contact with supplier

Touge Boy
6th November 2010, 10:37 AM
dave/mr awesome had the same issue. Stub axles were slightly o/s. Returned them to supplier and got another pair that fitted.

Do NOT use a press to put them on. You'll damage the bearing race and potentially the stub axle itself.

Freezing the stub axle and heating the bearing may work depending on how oversize the stub axle is, but you'll only get the stub axle to shrink fuck all, even with liquid nitrogen. Couple of thou at the most.

Polishing the stub axle down may also work, but you may also put it out of round as well.

My advice, contact the supplier and get new stub axles. You paid for parts that work, so get what you paid for.

blinded
6th November 2010, 11:50 AM
My advice, contact the supplier and get new stub axles. You paid for parts that work, so get what you paid for.

Agree very much on this.

My suggestion is really only suitable if the stub axle is only the slightest bit oversize. I think if is as tight as it sounds, do as Touge Boy said and get some replacement stub axles sent to you. Much better to have it right the first time than force the bearings onto the axle and potentially have something go wrong.

H8CHIR6KU
6th November 2010, 11:52 AM
also you will prob find that if you modify them in any way you will no doubt void your warranty.

just take them back and demand good ones

also not so related. i went to super autobacs today and you can by greddy 86 coilovers off the shelf. pretty crazy

billett86
6th November 2010, 12:29 PM
yeah sent photos and warranty card to seller waiting on response