PDA

View Full Version : GReddy Type-S coilovers - Remote control question

maxhag
14th November 2010, 06:27 PM
Just wondering if anyone is using the electronic incar adjustment control unit with the Greddy coilovers in their 86.

I have just bought the awesome Greddy kit with the electronic incar adjustment kit, I havent put them in yet, but looking at it, and pics of it, it doesn't look like I will be able to close the bonnet without hitting/crushing the control unit on the top of the strut......

Obviously i will be able to see when i put them in, but if someone has tried this already, give me a heads up if i will be able to use control kit or not......

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/1/1/57371.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/1/1/57346.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/1/1/57347.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/1/1/57348.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/1/1/57349.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/1/1/57350.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/1/1/57351.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/1/1/57352.jpg

Beserker99
14th November 2010, 06:57 PM
I'm pretty sure that you use that purple spacer, and the extended strut top bolts on the front of the coilovers to prevent the adjusting unit hitting the bonnet.

Basically it just spaces the strut lower.

maxhag
15th November 2010, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I worked it out just after posting this thread, thanks for the reply anyway....

Cant wait to get these puppies in. Should be next week....

Maciek
17th November 2010, 09:24 PM
hey, tell us how u go!
and what made you choose to go the greddys over the other brands, i ask because i need to buy new set of coilovers and am wondering which one to get.
cheers

maxhag
18th November 2010, 11:13 AM
hey, tell us how u go!
and what made you choose to go the greddys over the other brands, i ask because i need to buy new set of coilovers and am wondering which one to get.
cheers

After reading thru alot of reviews, forums etc, I found something in common in all of them. That was, that the Greddys are pretty much the best items you can get for an AE86. The only negative thing i read, was about the prices...... They are supposed to be very high quality, good design, long lasting..... Basically, if you can afford them, buy them......
I was thinking about some of the 'modified strut' ones (eg AJPS), but most of the time, you only get fronts only. I wanted a complete balanced package for all four corners of the car.... (Dont get me wrong, iam not saying anything bad about the AJPS ones). And to buy the AJPS fronts, looking around $1400, In my opinion, your better off paying the $700 more for the GReddy set and you get high quality engineering at all for corners...... I also looked into the HSD's, K-Sport and the BC's, and found many people that are not happy with them and have common engineering faults.......

If you do want to get the GReddy set, after alot of searching through peoples prices, the cheapest you can get them by far, are from:

Jesse Streeter - Will send them from Japan - Rough TOTAL in AUD: $2,042 *depending on exchange rate. DELIVERED contact: dartsun75@gmail.com
or
Just JDM Imports (Craig) - off this forum (Support local business)

If you got the time, do some searches on the net for peoples comments....... I am putting mine next weekend when i a few hours spare, i will let you know what I think once they are in.....

JoJo

Maciek
19th November 2010, 12:20 AM
cheers man, yeah iev been looking at all the brands myself, mainly the greddys, bcs and one other i think, i was leaning towards the greddys but then a mate told me he got some bcs and was happy with them (and a shit load cheaper), but that was on a s13, no comparison i know but he said they were good, better then his teins infact?!? so i thought they must be ok.
i might do as you said and check out some reviews.

Maciek
19th November 2010, 12:22 AM
did u buy the remote control unit from jesse too?
if so what was the whole package wrth coilovers and control unit?
cheers

maxhag
19th November 2010, 12:29 AM
I actually got my kit with the remote controller from someone in Australia who had already bought the kit and never used it. It was a one off. But i was so vlose to buying off Jesse before i found mine. The price I had from jesse was for the main kit only, and not including the incar controller. I think it is an extra $350 for the controller kit though....

maxhag
19th November 2010, 12:31 AM
$2050 isn't really that much more than the BC's......

jet111
19th November 2010, 02:39 PM
I just ordered my Greddys from the States, they are on back order & are a 2 month wait. However at the price I payed: $1,865 delivered... I am not complaining. This price is without the electronic unit, I didn't get it because I don't think ill adjust them much and its easy enough to do by hand.. Let us know how they ride. I'm eagerly awaiting my set!

maxhag
19th November 2010, 09:34 PM
Nice price you scored there.
Yeah, I was lucky and got the full kit AND the electronic units for $1800 delivered. Cant argue with that......
The quality of them look amazing. No English instructions though......

AJPS
19th November 2010, 10:53 PM
After reading thru alot of reviews, forums etc, I found something in common in all of them. That was, that the Greddys are pretty much the best items you can get for an AE86. The only negative thing i read, was about the prices...... They are supposed to be very high quality, good design, long lasting..... Basically, if you can afford them, buy them......
I was thinking about some of the 'modified strut' ones (eg AJPS), but most of the time, you only get fronts only. I wanted a complete balanced package for all four corners of the car.... (Dont get me wrong, iam not saying anything bad about the AJPS ones).

I can offer 4 corner height adjustment with matched springs and bilsteins. Dampers is where the money is and I would say the Greddy un-replacable inserts arent better than serviceable bilsteins etc.

No offense taken or anything, just wanted to clear it up.

ae71
19th November 2010, 11:28 PM
i think all greddy type-S are china made unfortunately. if memory serves me correct type-S is the budget range. having said that being brand name i do think they have a lot better quality control (so the items shouldn't be broken/faulty before being installed).

all coil springs are inheritly 1way adjustable.

i can definitely see a advantage to in-car adjustment though!

maxhag
20th November 2010, 12:47 AM
I can offer 4 corner height adjustment with matched springs and bilsteins. Dampers is where the money is and I would say the Greddy un-replacable inserts arent better than serviceable bilsteins etc.

No offense taken or anything, just wanted to clear it up.

Yeah, fair enough Dave. I dont doubt the quality of the Bilsteins.... I haven't had coilovers before and was looking to spend around $2G, and the greddys sounded good. then i got the deal for the whole kit (electronics incl) for $1800, and just couldn't resit :P

Can I get some advice without just wanting to sell me something? When it comes to aftermarket suspension setup, iam a bit of a noob. I am just wondering if I should be using RCAs with this kit? If so, how do I determine what size to get before i put them in?
Also, anyone know where I can find english instructions?

Thanks

JoJo

Gunner
20th November 2010, 07:51 AM
I would use RCA's, supposedly, from what I have been told, if you go 2/3 of the height you lowered the car (drop the car 60mm, run a 40mm RCA), it should be nearly spot on. There is more to it (alot more), but I think thats a pretty good rule of thumb. Dunno if it right though, I'm sure Dave or someone will correct me.

maxhag
20th November 2010, 04:31 PM
I have worked out most of the kit regarding installation, but there are a few questions that I am stuck with. The Japanese only instructions suck arse if you cant read japanese...lol..... If anyone can help, that would be ace...

1. When fitting the electronic motors on top of the dampers, what setting does the damper have to be on? (ie; softest setting 1, hardest setting 32 etc......) Or does it not matter? Iam just not sure how it works out what setting it's initially set on (does that make sense)

2. It might be obvious to some, but i am just not quite sure. With the rear setup, Is the height ajustment done at the ajustable spring perch, or at the base of the shock/damper like the fronts? Can someone explain a bit of the functions of both these adjustments on the back...
My guess, is the height adjsutment is on the damper and the spring adjuster to to adjust the spring to keep it captive.... Am I right here?

Thanks,

J