PDA

View Full Version : Short stroke ae86 shocks...

kurts1
1st December 2010, 07:55 PM
hi guys...

I need to purchase some short stroke shocks for my ae86 struts...

I have been looking at the kyb agx cartridge... and have found this one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.m748&item=380261493306&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D5337393993311645731#ht_1427wt_95 2

question is... is this going to be short stroke? and is it going to fit a ae86 strut?

thanks

AJPS
1st December 2010, 08:59 PM
yes but those ones are a bit longer than the ones you need and dont come with the necessary spacer and gland nut.

youll need to cut the strut down or spacer

send me a pm if you want some more info

parakeet
10th December 2010, 12:55 AM
Techotoytuning make a specific spacer/gland nut for this very insert.

http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=110

This is designed to suit the front SW20 inserts

ke_70
10th December 2010, 10:21 AM
wouldnt you want to space the insert up?

timbo
10th December 2010, 10:38 AM

thats what i always...

marvis
10th December 2010, 11:18 AM
Less chance of bottoming out? Will just hit bumpstops if you have them, and also means spring will more likely be captive.

We just did the same in the supra, SW20 but cut strut 60mm with no spacer. Can be slammed (like 20mm) and legal height. AJPS can sort you out.

Are you converting it to coilover?

H8CHIR6KU
11th December 2010, 12:16 AM

i ran mine with the spacer on top and then later ran the t3 ones.

the spacer below was the worst for me. they felt much better with the spacer on top. and if you think about it, with the spacer underneath there is more chance of the damper bottoming out under heavy compression
having the spacer on top gives the damper a larger range of travel

also not that it mattered much but the spacer on top held the spring close to captive, underneath was no where near captive

KE70
16th December 2010, 04:40 PM
Cut your standard ae86 shocks and make your own spacer, you will need to use the top part of the shock. Just don't use a grinder to cut the tube otherwise you will have a serious oil fire, use a hacksaw.

Like this:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/8/3/59362.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/8/3/59363.jpg

Sorry about the crap quality.

KE70
16th December 2010, 04:42 PM
This was with a sw20 insert, ~40mm shorter then standard.

Stain
16th December 2010, 05:22 PM
I'm sorry but thats the worst idea I've ever heard of!

By putting the spacer at the top you're effectively removing at least 5-6cm of usable travel in the shock!
If you've got 'short stroke' shocks you've already got much less travel than a standard shock, why the hell would you want to take more away!

Sure the shock itself will never bottom out, but it shouldn't bottom out if you're running stiff enough springs (which most of us do) so its a null point.
I tested my setup (strut shortened by 40mm & 20mm spacer at bottom) when I installed it and it physically wouldn't go down far enough to bottom out.
And if it ever did bottom out I'd have much more serious things to worry about...

Plus holding a spring captive isn't too much of a issue, especially with a coilover setup as even if you do manage to do a large enough jump to let the springs
hang they don't have anywhere to go anyway... if your that worried about it, get some helper springs.

KE70
17th December 2010, 11:21 AM

By putting the spacer at the top you're effectively removing at least 5-6cm of usable travel in the shock!
If you've got 'short stroke' shocks you've already got much less travel than a standard shock, why the hell would you want to take more away!

Sure the shock itself will never bottom out, but it shouldn't bottom out if you're running stiff enough springs (which most of us do) so its a null point.
I tested my setup (strut shortened by 40mm & 20mm spacer at bottom) when I installed it and it physically wouldn't go down far enough to bottom out.
And if it ever did bottom out I'd have much more serious things to worry about...

Plus holding a spring captive isn't too much of a issue, especially with a coil over setup as even if you do manage to do a large enough jump to let the springs
hang they don't have anywhere to go anyway... if your that worried about it, get some helper springs.

I don't see how my spacer is any different to your shortened strut tube. It effectively puts the shock at the same place if I was to shorten the strut tube by 40mm. You must have the st185 shocks which are shorter by ~60mm. With my setup under no load on the spring the shock is almost at its full height, once put on the car its sits at a respectable level. I'm sure I could get it at a better level if I did some better measurements but at the end of the day its just a daily thrasher and not a full engineered race car.

I'm happy to be proven wrong but I think my setup is pretty good considering I don't have to cut the strut.

H8CHIR6KU
17th December 2010, 11:34 AM

Plus holding a spring captive isn't too much of a issue, especially with a coilover setup as even if you do manage to do a large enough jump to let the springs

but yet if you put the spacer on the bottom your taking away from the travel of the dampner anyway. and by a hella lot more than putting it on the top
not for coilovers
on 210mm springswith the spacer on bottom i had so much of the shock sitting above the spring. prob bout 60+mm. so when you put it in the car the car weight has already compressed the shock by that much plus prob a little more
but if you put the spacer on top there was only bout 10+mm of shock past the spring. so the shock is only compress by a little bit compared to a 1/4 or more of its travel.
last time i checked 10mm lost from compression is alot better than 60mm lost on compression. adn you can feel how much better it is