PDA

View Full Version : heavy steering

ae86
7th December 2010, 12:09 AM
hey guys, havnt driven my car in a while and i put xt130 lca's in it not long after i stopped driving it,
was wondering how much heavier does it make the steering ? i did expect a little due to extra track but this is rediculous, hopeing its just wheel alignment

Sam-Q
7th December 2010, 12:15 AM
did it get a wheel alignment after you did it? it shouldn't make it any harder, or atleast not in my comprehension of it.

ae86
7th December 2010, 12:23 AM
nah i kinda winged the wheel alignment can see some toe out which im presumeing thats what would be playing mind games on me?

blair
7th December 2010, 12:26 AM
I think the castor rod mounting holes are further out than 86 lca's? thus pulling it further forward... lots of castor makes heavy steering!

i'm probs wrong as i'm about to pass out haha.

Sam-Q
7th December 2010, 12:28 AM
in my limited knowledge it does sound like the alignment

ae86
7th December 2010, 07:39 AM
ahk guess il just drive like a granny to the wheel aligners n hope that is what it was, it seriously feels like driving a car with fucked power steering its that rediculous at low speeds i couldnt believe it

Patric
7th December 2010, 11:06 AM
try pumping your front tyres up to correct pressure.

keiichi
7th December 2010, 12:05 PM
it wouldnt be toe, if it was from toe out it should be darty and light.

castor shouldnt of increased so much that it feels like you say.

maybe the ball joints in the LCAs are totally dry and fucked.

blair
7th December 2010, 01:32 PM
I moved my castor forward about one centimeter (to max) and I almost died the first time I tried to park my car haha

AJPS
7th December 2010, 04:10 PM
muscles?

what wheels do you have on the front?

ke_70
7th December 2010, 05:04 PM
jack the car up and turn the wheels by hand.
thats where id start.

wntdae86
7th December 2010, 06:28 PM
it is castor as its high.
also toe out is not a good thing .

jakel
7th December 2010, 07:21 PM
when you increase camber im pretty sure you have to use more toe out and that should make it lighter. Also did you replace the bushes and ball joints before you put them on or where they still good? and you cant tighten the lcas when the suspension is drooping you have to jack the wheel up to ride height then tighten the bolts. I had a mate that tightened them (standard arms) when the car was up in the air and it had +camber.

ae86
7th December 2010, 08:31 PM
bushes and balljoints in the LCA are brand new, dont remember playing around with castor ? plus i only have stock castor rods so it cant go that far

lolwat
7th December 2010, 08:49 PM
but as someone said above caster rod mounting point on LCA's are different and could of pulled/changed your caster, take it and get them to do a caster and camber allignment

ke_70
7th December 2010, 11:22 PM
hard to tell on the internet.

take it for an alignment. they'll soon tell you whats wrong you need one anyways

Stain
15th December 2010, 10:32 PM
When you put longer LCAs in without adjusting the caster you'll naturally get more which will increase steering effort...
That combined with you not driving the car for awhile and not being used to it would make it seem rather hard...

I don't drive my sprinter much anymore... but I always forget about the heavy steering and try n go one handed thru town. Always a shock :p

keiichi
16th December 2010, 12:35 AM
what stain said makes sense - now that i think about it, my old rona had decent castor, about +6 and it was almost impossible to turn to full lock when stationary. i'm not exactly weak either.