View Full Version : Complicated steering question

wideslider
12th December 2010, 11:59 PM
Hey guys,

I have spaced my engine xmember down 2 inches to
make my f20 fit without cutting my tunnel. Now my
problem is that my steering column doesn't reach my
rack. I can't find info from guys overseas who have done
their conversion the same way. Any ideas?

I'm thinking of taking the steering uni off from the rack
and welding 2 inches to it to extend it.

Cheers, ben

Sam-Q
13th December 2010, 12:03 AM
there are different shafts available off other models which have different lengths. I suggest you start your search at a self serve wreckers in the Corona section.

I know why one would, but you do know it's not really good what you did in regard to the suspension right?

stx-16
13th December 2010, 12:06 AM
yeah i would rather cut the tunnel up then space the cross member out but its your car

Sam-Q
13th December 2010, 12:11 AM
I agree if he knows the dissadvantage of the steering and accepts that for avoiding the huge hastle of cutting up the trans tunnel then that's his choice and I respect that.

BTW kick arse price on the Haltech installs

roadsailing
13th December 2010, 12:18 AM
I know why one would, but you do know it's not really good what you did in regard to the suspension right?

bullshit, just bolt on two pairs of RCAs and off you go, might have to run 20 inch wheels though. :P

Sam-Q
13th December 2010, 12:27 AM
yes I stand corrected, if you bolt some RCA's that are 51mm (imperial = shit) + how much the car has been lowered then your back to stock geometry. So some 100mm RCA's and you should be good.

Anthony
13th December 2010, 01:18 AM
a lot of 4wd body lifts involve just cutting the column above the uni, slipping some tube over each end and welding. not recommended though.

another alternative is to run a power steer rack fluidless(or connected??) with a manual column.

thats all i got :)

Andy San
13th December 2010, 12:07 PM
Powersteering rack with the guts cleaned out of it is a good idea. If not you might be able to get a longer uni joint from a few places

haveaparty
13th December 2010, 02:08 PM
if ur got the skill, get a tunnel from a bigger car like a commo or falcon and cut and shut it in to u car, that way it will still appear stock, or if its just for a track car get a tunnel fabbed up,

assassin10000
13th December 2010, 04:28 PM
MKIII supra intermediate shaft will solve your problems:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/0/1/9/59158.jpg

Andrew

Sam-Q
13th December 2010, 05:52 PM
I should go and check out the corona one

FAST EDDIE
13th December 2010, 05:56 PM
hell id be chopping the column piece of tube over and weld both ends

lolwat
13th December 2010, 06:07 PM
or even do as above and drill a role through either peice and put either bolts through or weld rods through

wideslider
13th December 2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks everyone for your help.

I'll use these ideas and make it work this weekend.