PDA

View Full Version : Buying Imported Motors

Bart
11th February 2009, 09:25 PM
hey guys,

Looking a buying an imported motor from an importer and just wanted to know if there is anything i should ask for to be checked/tested prior to purchase? Only thing im aware of is a compression test. Should i be asking for anything else?

Cheers Bart

wide s13
11th February 2009, 09:43 PM
warranty what it acutally covers
sometimes its like 30days 3months etc and it will only cover certain things

driftke70
11th February 2009, 09:58 PM
a good halfy should start and run with little effort, that will tell you all you need to know, dont be afraid of things like slightly dented sumps and stuff, but obvious things are obvious, obviously

ke70dave
11th February 2009, 10:03 PM
just something to note

i bought an engine with unknown condition, and did a compression test when i got it home, had 160psi across all cylinders.

installed it, fired it up, sump filled up with coolant.....

so be warned that a comp test isnt always an indication.

turns out i just had a blown headgasket but still annoying.

Sam-Q
11th February 2009, 10:56 PM
if you can check the inside of the cam cover, the most famous things imported engines are famous for are a complete lack of oil changes. If this is one of those then there will be stacks of gunk under the cover.

munki
12th February 2009, 12:00 AM
if you can check the inside of the cam cover, the most famous things imported engines are famous for are a complete lack of oil changes. If this is one of those then there will be stacks of gunk under the cover.

100% with sam. This is the most important thing to look for!

Bart
12th February 2009, 06:20 PM
Cool. Checking cam covers is a tad hard because i live 4 1/2 hrs from sydney where the motor is. Thats why i was hoping there would be some things to as be checked for prior.
A mate purchased from them and were happy to take it back when he decided a different engine so hopefully if its gets here and its garbage they will take it back

Javal
12th February 2009, 10:46 PM

I find that funny, as the reason Australia got the 4ac instead of the 4ag is because the high-ups at toyota considered us a little 'backwards' in terms of mechanical ability and upkeep...

anyway, to be constructive -

NEVER, EVER, EVER BUY AN MOTOR IN 'UNKNOWN' CONDITION. EVER.

Eircamae86
12th February 2009, 11:10 PM
Depends on price, there is nothing wrong with a home rebuilt 4age

Golberg
12th February 2009, 11:52 PM
This is why you check under the cam cover/s

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=2209

The black death

Bart
13th February 2009, 12:24 AM
Price is the reason im looking at buying from an importer. I got a price from a local machine shop and they quoted me enough $$$ to buy almost 3 import motors. Plus, i use my sprinter as a daily so time off the road is a burden. I work in a call center and start anywhere from 7.30 to 9.45