Adsie
28th December 2010, 05:35 PM
Car - N/A

Motor - 7AGE

Use - Paper weight

Problem - Rod small ends

occurs/started when - N/A

personal situation (if applicable)-

For those who have done a 7AGE conversion what have you done about the small end when using stock rods? I want to run 20V pistons since I will be using a 20V head. Do you just hone out the small end and run a floating gudgeon pin like in a 4AGE. If this is done wouldn't a hole be needed in the top of the rod to lubricate this pin like the 4AGE rods? Or have people just pressed the piston back into the rod and modified the 4AGE piston?

biggo
28th December 2010, 08:33 PM
I dont think anyone uses stock rods. You could in theory if you wnet with a bigport+pistons

Sprinter86
28th December 2010, 09:10 PM
I think the general consensus is that 7afe rods are really no good for high rpm, and no one bothers to waste the money/time in using them. (as they have been proven time and again to fail)

You can get off the shelf forged h-beam rods for quite cheap from companies like spool and similar, these already have the larger 20mm floating small end.

my 2c.

Adsie
29th December 2010, 01:28 PM
I thought people have been using stock rods with new rod bolts and keeping it below 7500RPM. I do know about spool rods they are fairly cheap.

Delazy
29th December 2010, 03:11 PM
Save yourself the effort and get spool rods...one less headache to worry about...

a decent 7age build certainly has a few of them and one less is a good thing believe me

70XIN
29th December 2010, 04:29 PM
Robo86 has done 30+k km's on stock rods, and attended more track days than most of the people on this forum put together lol. Stock rods are fine. With that said though, the peace of mind of having forged rods is good.

And to answer the OP's original question, yes you can do either, we had the pins press-fit onto the rods. Pistons never have to be modified - either the rod AND piston can move on the gudgeon pin (full floating), or only the piston (press fit). :)

Goodluck with it all.

fantapants
29th December 2010, 05:47 PM
hey tox, what sort of red line is robbo sticking too?

fwiw i had heard 7500 is perfectly acceptable, but if heading towards 8000 then for peice of mind the forgies are cheaper than destroying the whole lot.

this was from someone who builds a few of these.

Sam-Q
29th December 2010, 06:03 PM
as above, you press fit the rod on floating pistons

Adsie
29th December 2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks 70XIN that was the info I was looking for.