PDA

View Full Version : Adapting a Supra Gearbox to a 4AGE

armc89
6th January 2011, 10:39 PM
Hey lads I had a massive gear box failure today now it's time to find another one I need suggestions
I'm told it's a t18 t50 with a bigger out put shaft I am just looking for some ideas on good mods I'm running a turbo 4agze with about 130wkw help would be appreciated and rewarded with beer!

Sam-Q
6th January 2011, 10:43 PM
the T18 idea won't work. You need a W55 supra box

stx-16
7th January 2011, 01:05 AM
aren't the w58's the strong ones or even better a steel case w58

Sam-Q
7th January 2011, 01:15 AM
same strength as the W55 and only some had a steel plate in middle which doesn't really add much if any strength to it

armc89
7th January 2011, 12:04 PM
i know the t18 idea doesn't work thats the gear box i turned into a gear bag! i need help finding out what will fit in without having to modify the body!

Rice86
7th January 2011, 12:25 PM
W5x series box then like Sam-Q said

assassin10000
7th January 2011, 03:27 PM
Yep, anything of the w55-59 varients. Should be good to 300hp. Fits the stock tunnel/body without any bashing. I did my own conversion a year or so ago and ended up selling it after I got rid of my 4ag.

Andrew

johl
7th January 2011, 03:32 PM
my w55 is out of an sa63 celica and i could get away with out cutting the shifter hole out but it is just touching the front of the hole so i will give it a slight trim. so assuming the t18 is pretty similar to an 86 you could do it without modifying it

armc89
7th January 2011, 07:01 PM
Well guys I had an old celica out in the paddock it's got a w57 is that any good?

Sam-Q
7th January 2011, 07:42 PM
that's a win. So what model of celica is it and what engine? it will be written on the plate on the firewall.

armc89
7th January 2011, 08:05 PM
It says ra60r its a 1982 model with a 21r

assassin10000
7th January 2011, 08:19 PM
As sam said, WIN. If you go with an adapter plate & the stock 4ag bellhousing you won't have to modify the shifter hole at all (mine was from an 82 celica with 22r). Plus you'll have the celica trans xmember to modify, and you could possibly use the front part of its driveshaft, the slip yoke at least.

Andrew

armc89
7th January 2011, 09:13 PM
What are the ratios like? And there is more to the story the w57 some one has removed the drive shaft and it's now missing.....

assassin10000
7th January 2011, 10:40 PM
Not a big deal, auto ones also have the same spline. It's a really common toyota output spline and can be had from all sorts toyota cars.

Ratio's can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_W_transmission

Andrew

R&D Mechanical
7th January 2011, 10:46 PM
I have a w56 in my ke, its from a late model hilux i dont really like the ratios but its holding up to my clutch kickers

i blew up two t50s in a day its soo soo worth doing the convo, sure it cost a bit but just imagin how many t50s you will be going through haha

armc89
8th January 2011, 12:39 AM
Ratios in the w57 look not to bad! I just need to know where I can get the adaptor plate and then I can start sorting out fitment it won't end up cost to much the most expensive bit will be custom tailshaft gearbox was very cheap!

Sam-Q
8th January 2011, 12:48 AM
the expensive bit is the custom adapter plate. AJPS has something, the Niteparts one is known to be excellent and Dellows a lump of crap

armc89
8th January 2011, 01:03 AM
Thanks for all the help this is why I love forums I know I didnt have a new question and it's all been asked a million times but I appreciate the help lads!

assassin10000
8th January 2011, 10:07 AM
There is also AZ customs who's out of tasmania... Or was when I was looking for an adapter 2 years ago. He had the adapter plate, which was by far the 'cheapest' option.

Night Parts was the best IIRC, haven't looked at the AJPS option yet. Toycoolrolla on club4ag out of the phillipines sells a bellhousing as well, but like the dellows it has problems (have seen cracks & machining problems in the past).

Andrew

armc89
8th January 2011, 10:53 AM
oh i have another question what flywheel should i use? i have a 200mm toda flywheel stashed away somewhere but will that work infront of the wseries? do i need a bigger one to accommodate starter motor?

assassin10000
8th January 2011, 03:42 PM
You use a 4age flywheel, the TODA would be fine.

What needs to be changed is the spline in the clutch disc. And use the throw out bearing carrier from the w5x to fit the input shaft collar. Clutch fork depends on if you use a conversion bellhousing or an adapter, if a BH is used talk to the MFG on what is needed.

Andrew

Delazy
8th January 2011, 03:48 PM
There is also AZ customs who's out of tasmania... Or was when I was looking for an adapter 2 years ago. He had the adapter plate, which was by far the 'cheapest' option.

still available if required...anyone wanting to get in contact with him feel free to drop myself a msg...

armc89
8th January 2011, 04:06 PM
I'm thinking of getting the bh from Ajps use my toda flywheel and I want to get a exedy button!

assassin10000
8th January 2011, 07:26 PM
If you use the bellhousing and not the adapter, it's pretty likely you'll end up having to cut the shifter hole (and possibly punching the radio when shifting ;) ).

Unless your fortunate enough to have a w5x with a 19" shifter position.

Andrew

PRIMRK
11th January 2011, 03:39 PM
go 55 58's have too much space between gears for us sprinter boys

DR86FT
11th March 2011, 10:15 PM
If you use the bellhousing and not the adapter, it's pretty likely you'll end up having to cut the shifter hole (and possibly punching the radio when shifting ;) ).

Unless your fortunate enough to have a w5x with a 19" shifter position.

Andrew

Ask dellow they might swap shifter positions

erik
29th August 2012, 11:56 PM
Just putting some notice up that I've bought a bell from this guy;
http://www.ogiptech.com/product.html
$300+postage ($75 to NSW from USA)
This is by far the cheapest bell i could find from any manufacturer.
Looks alright, only arrived on monday.
I will let you know how this fits on my W55 and ST by the weekend.

erik
3rd September 2012, 10:37 PM
Cant seem to upload files at the present however, It fits the box rather well and had no troubles. I will update for the connection with the engine, that will hopefully be achieved by the end of the week.

ae86 slide
4th September 2012, 07:01 AM
my personal opinion would be to get a 212mm flywheel and clutch setup from someone like NPC. They sorted out a good combo for me.
Also I went with an adapter plate not full bell and the box sits perfectly with regards to the shifter.
there are write ups all over the joint but bits of info have been left out on this thread so here's what you need (for a plate conversion).
w box
adapter plate
T50 bell housing (get a jap t50 bell to get your clutch line away from your exhaust)
4a fly wheel (blacktop 212mm is the pick)
clutch with spline to suit w box
custom gearbox mount
custom tailshaft (a place like gibbs truck center that do tailshafts will have the input side (yoke) of the tailshaft and the flange that will bolt to your diff on the shelf, so they can make one from scratch for you)
W series throw out bearing carrier (as mentioned its larger diameter than a t50)
T50 clutch fork
spigot bearing spacer
standard bolts to bolt plate to gearbox
4x 40mm long allen key head bolts, 1x 25mm long allen key head bolt (I think thats how many) to bolt bell housing to plate
w box shifter

I think that's it

Delazy
4th September 2012, 09:26 AM
Just putting some notice up that I've bought a bell from this guy;
http://www.ogiptech.com/product.html
$300+postage ($75 to NSW from USA)
This is by far the cheapest bell i could find from any manufacturer.
Looks alright, only arrived on monday.
I will let you know how this fits on my W55 and ST by the weekend.

Unsure how a completely unknown bell housing for $375 is a better option than a tried and tested/faultless Australian made adaptor plate that isn't a lot more expensive...whatever floats your boat I guess, but not a risk I'd bother wasting my time with...

Futo_gt86
7th September 2012, 11:37 PM
my personal opinion would be to get a 212mm flywheel and clutch setup from someone like NPC. They sorted out a good combo for me.
Also I went with an adapter plate not full bell and the box sits perfectly with regards to the shifter.
there are write ups all over the joint but bits of info have been left out on this thread so here's what you need (for a plate conversion).
w box
adapter plate
T50 bell housing (get a jap t50 bell to get your clutch line away from your exhaust)
4a fly wheel (blacktop 212mm is the pick)
clutch with spline to suit w box
custom gearbox mount
custom tailshaft (a place like gibbs truck center that do tailshafts will have the input side (yoke) of the tailshaft and the flange that will bolt to your diff on the shelf, so they can make one from scratch for you)
W series throw out bearing carrier (as mentioned its larger diameter than a t50)
T50 clutch fork
spigot bearing spacer
standard bolts to bolt plate to gearbox
4x 40mm long allen key head bolts, 1x 25mm long allen key head bolt (I think thats how many) to bolt bell housing to plate
w box shifter

I think that's it

Where does one acquire a spigot bearing spacer from? Did you get it form NPC

erik
8th September 2012, 08:45 AM
Well john, i guess that im trying/testing the product for you. Saving money is important for someone that is doing this build on a shoestring, and i do mean a fucking shoestring. I'm not cutting corners, I'm just doing this the way the smart consumer would, (choosing the cheap, that works).
http://imageshack.us/f/850/20120901154604.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/715/20120827094238.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/11/20120901154534.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/822/20120901154543.jpg/

Jip86
8th September 2012, 12:20 PM
Where does one acquire a spigot bearing spacer from? Did you get it form NPC

The adapter plate kits I've seen come with the spacer and all the bolts you need.

That said, I've not found anyone who is easily contactable to buy one off so that's why I'm in the middle of making my own.

Futo_gt86
9th September 2012, 09:32 PM
I bought a box with an A-Z T50 adapter, but the spigot spacer was well wedged into the crank and would have been damaged trying to remove it.
Anyone have A-Z contact details.
PM Sent Delazy (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/member.php/193-Delazy)

DR86FT
4th January 2013, 07:58 AM
Another mounting question

I have a 4agte setup with w box with correct shifter position and f series diff.
Was just wondering will the engine (3sge beams) be in the right position if I leave the gearbox where it is and do the 3y bell with modified 20v starter.

And has anyone got mount kits for it?(3sge beams)

Futo_gt86
4th January 2013, 09:07 PM
Just only from threads i have viewed on the subject, I believe a beams 3S into AE86 bay is a tight squeeze, and engine position is dictated by the stock sump, which needs some ribs touched up.
Probably best to search BEAMS in tech Q's, or start a new thread as this question is not really relevant to this topic.
If you haven't read this do
http://www.billzilla.org/AE863SGE.htm
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/19394-Universal-3sge-%28inc-Beams%29-into-AE-KE-thread

DR86FT
5th January 2013, 07:08 PM
I will have to either start a new post or just try it when I'm up to it I guess, I did try the other thread but got flicked over here too haha