PDA

View Full Version : Flat front conversion on AE71 HELP!

Shitbox
12th January 2011, 02:31 PM
Hi I know the panels from a flat front are interchangeable with slantys, But Ive tried looking for a guide if someone has already done a flat front conversion and no luck if any could tell me the exact process it would be a big help and do I have to cut off the radiator support panel off a flat front in order to get it off
thank You all
Raymond
PS. is $500 a shit price for pretty much everything needed except parkers and front bumper?

McLEVIN
12th January 2011, 02:39 PM
sorry but why do people do this conversion if you like flat fronts buy a flat front and not a slanty? just curious dosnt make much sense to me.

Shitbox
12th January 2011, 02:44 PM
Because I got the AE71 for a good price in mint condition and its easier to do a 4age conversion. But Im not a big fan of slantys i like the older flat front look

Jacobxxx
12th January 2011, 03:00 PM
i sold a complete flat front conversion for like $200, i should have charged more looking back.
Pretty sure user: Clinton has done this might have to drill some holes. i do know that you cant convert panelvan to normal flat without modification and vice versa for the record.

svenmate
12th January 2011, 03:50 PM
You will need:

- Left and right guard (durrr) with the indicator lenses.
- Windshield wiper panel thingy under windscreen.
- Flat front hood
- Beaver panel (bit that you see between bumper and lights/grill)
- Flat front lights including brackets and surrounds and parkers.
- Flat front bumper and indicators.

Process:
- Easiest job - remove the hood. Two bolts on each side.
-Remove guards. Unbolt the bolts inside engine bay, down near the front doors and just in front of the wheel inside the guards. Then unclip indicator in side and use screwdriver to pry guard out of engine bay.
- remove lights and grill. Not hard at all, you'll figure it out. Just be careful with the clips on the grill as they snap easy.
- remove windscreen panel thingy. I still have no idea what its called but the one that gets all the leaves stuck in it.
- unbolt beaver panel. Should just be a few 10mm nuts.

Ok, so now your car looks pretty naked, you put it all back.

Everything should go back the same until you get to the lights. Now you will need to drill new holes for the bolts that poke off the light brackets, so be careful.
Mine didn't fit first time, i have no idea why, but i just bashed the big hole that the back of the light goes into. Don't do what I did. Just be patient and think.

The other thing that isn't the same are some of the plastic light connections or looms or whatever you call them. But all you have to do it cut at the plugs so that the terminals wedge into eachother.

Hope that helps.
Sven

kickit
12th January 2011, 05:46 PM
glad someone put this up as i also was lookin for a slant to front conv.
i heard you had to change radioator support aswell? is this true??
(beaver panel) is that wat some people call apron

Shitbox
14th January 2011, 06:53 PM
thanks for all the input :)
i think the panel between the windscreen and bonnet is called a scuttle panel :S not sure
and yeah i heard somewhere u have to change the radiator suppport panel which involves some cutting and welding
starting to think i might stay with the slanty decisions decisions

Danzo
14th January 2011, 11:06 PM
nah you dont need to change the rad support, just drill a few holes. its easy as I did it on my old one in like 20 mins.

kickit
15th January 2011, 02:46 PM
are the holes for lights and small stuff like that

Shitbox
15th January 2011, 03:16 PM
ok cool cause the guy at the wreckers was gonna charge me $500 for al the parts plus the labour taking off the rad support so hopefully its cheaper now that i dont need it :)
Oh and how did yours turn out danzo have u got any pics by any chance?

Danzo
16th January 2011, 02:38 AM
This is how it was, quadlights, but yeah pretty much exactly the same as a flat front.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/sil800/05092009303.jpg

Eddy
16th January 2011, 11:01 AM
i sold a complete flat front conversion for like $200, i should have charged more looking back.
Pretty sure user: Clinton has done this might have to drill some holes. i do know that you cant convert panelvan to normal flat without modification and vice versa for the record.

what type of modifications are you talking about, i have sedan slant pannels on my panno. you also have to space the bonnet or get the bonnet hindges front the flat front. that was the only issue i had when i did it years ago

Jacobxxx
16th January 2011, 02:09 PM
what type of modifications are you talking about, i have sedan slant pannels on my panno. you also have to space the bonnet or get the bonnet hindges front the flat front. that was the only issue i had when i did it years ago
i damaged my panel van front end (dx type version) and replaced it with sedan flat front and the brackets that hold the lights holes didnt line up (if im making sense, hard to explain without pictures) i ended up just jamming one bolt into a hole and zip tying it to the rad. everything else fitted and i just kept the panelvan bonnet.

so if you wanted to fit it properly it'd just be like a slant to flat conversion and drill a few holes in the rad support for it.

oh and the park light plugs are different if my memory serves me correctly, or it might have been front bar indicators i cant quite recall.

Shitbox
16th January 2011, 11:01 PM
Awsome looks mean mines the exact same colour I dont no what to do argh haha slanty or flat both look good but i can get the panels for flat in the same colour anyways thanks for the photo mate (y)
This is how it was, quadlights, but yeah pretty much exactly the same as a flat front.

skizzamods
18th January 2011, 11:45 PM
basically as far as rad supports go, this is how it is.

late model ke70, ae71, ae71 pano and ke70 pano all have the same rad support.

early model ke70 has a different rad support.

it is easier to convert a slant front to flat front, but the other way around doesn't work so well.

stahlz_ae86
22nd January 2011, 07:04 AM
basically as far as rad supports go, this is how it is.

late model ke70, ae71, ae71 pano and ke70 pano all have the same rad support.

early model ke70 has a different rad support.

it is easier to convert a slant front to flat front, but the other way around doesn't work so well.

This man speaks the truth. In addition to that, quad headlights directly bolt onto the early KE70 rad support.

stahlz_ae86
22nd January 2011, 07:07 AM
Awsome looks mean mines the exact same colour I dont no what to do argh haha slanty or flat both look good but i can get the panels for flat in the same colour anyways thanks for the photo mate (y)

I'd suggest for the same amount of dosh just getting some chrome bars from NZ. The slanty front will grow on you. Here's my bucket...

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/9/5/61070.jpg

blake.
22nd January 2011, 07:17 AM
^^ nice. i like my slant just never liked the black bumper, now i know where to get em from :)

Shitbox
27th January 2011, 02:00 AM
Wanted these bars at a stage then got pissed off because i could never find any but now i do cheers man. Car looks clean and loving the louvers know where to get them by any chance.
I'd suggest for the same amount of dosh just getting some chrome bars from NZ. The slanty front will grow on you. Here's my bucket...

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/9/5/61070.jpg

haveaparty
27th January 2011, 02:12 PM
for the record guys, the windscreen wiper panel thingo, the one youse call a scuttle is known as a cowl panel, and the front panel between ur gurads and under the lights is called an apron, not a beaver panel, the beaver panel is at the rear of the car, if u take ur rear bar off beaver panel is right there, and there is sometimes an inner and an outta beaver panel, just so youse know lol

KEDRIFT
22nd May 2011, 03:01 PM

this pic looks PHATT considering theres no running gear

Devans
30th May 2011, 06:31 PM
Are those chrome bumpers on the slanty just the dx style ones? I've been on trademe.co.nz and theres heaps of stuff, but dont really know what to look for when specifically looking at the slanty bumpers.

stahlz_ae86
30th May 2011, 07:15 PM
Yeah, ask for slant front "DX wagon bro." Most of their late wagons are slanty. The big headlight KE70 flat front that uses the same gaurds as our KE70 panelvans has a similar front bumper but the curve when viewed from above is greater than that of slanty face. Slanty face is closer to being straight.

Devans
30th May 2011, 09:47 PM
thanks bro! im either gunna go chrome bumpers or just get a whole dx front haha.