PDA

View Full Version : Other than PS and Non-PS are all AE86 steering racks the same?

ae8zn6
23rd January 2011, 10:53 PM
As above, trying to figgure out why my current car less lock than my old car, I still have all the old parts so worst case I can just fit all my old gear, but swapping the racks is a pita and Im 99% sure its not the issue...

Having said that, neither had rack spacers and both are running non ps steering arms...

Ideas?

Rice86
24th January 2011, 09:20 AM
different wheel alignment?
both chassis are AE86?
maybe one chassis was banana bent?..lol

ideally it shouldnt be different, but since you notice that it is then maybe its just you thinking to much?

other then that, power steering rack and manual rack i believe is a bit different, someone check my 2cents worth of information

ae8zn6
24th January 2011, 11:16 AM
it may well be that I am imagining the difference, I mean I hadnt driven an 86 for over a year by the time I had this car ready...

I dunno, I just remenber being able to turn an a dime and make parking spots from bullshit positions...

ae8zn6
30th January 2011, 09:23 PM
Well, unless I have some sort of custom rack, it appears there can be a difference...
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/2/8/61789.jpg

There was around 25mm difference between them... I have since swapped :D
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/2/8/61790.jpg

Nikkojoe
30th January 2011, 09:43 PM
Just confirmed with epc:

ae85/6, GL/SE/SR/GT/APX and adm AE86 have the same rack!

GTV have a different rack.

Therefore, ADM IS BETTER THAN JDM GTV hahaha (in one way)

jaz_ae86
30th January 2011, 10:41 PM
GTV rack is 3 turn lock to lock, it is the rack to have (of the factory racks), next best is TRD 2.75, then quaife at 2.5 turns lock to lock.

Also GTV have 'power steering arms' as standard.

Having said all that, in the pic, I just think one rack has more teeth cut into it than the other.

ae8zn6
30th January 2011, 10:56 PM
its as Tom has said, one is GTV and the other is ADM, I can confirm it was also 3 turns lock to lock vice 3.5, as far as I can tell steering arms are not PS arms, I will measure them when Im back at home...

I put the adm rack in as I am more interested in lock than turning the wheel less, caster does most of the work going from lock to lock anyway

Nikkojoe
31st January 2011, 12:46 AM
GTV rack is 3 turn lock to lock, it is the rack to have (of the factory racks), next best is TRD 2.75, then quaife at 2.5 turns lock to lock.

Yeah, but the point i was trying to make is gtv rack provides less lock (In this situation more lock is wanted!) After all the gtv is the sports model of the ae86, and ideally would be better to have a rack with less turns.

And yeah gtv's have power steering arms, to make up for the shorter rack.