PDA

View Full Version : AE86 Stiffer Engine Mounts

Patrini
28th January 2011, 03:03 PM
Hi,

I have a clubman car that uses a 4AGZE engine and standard AE86 engine mounts, it is used mainly on the track and has managed to tear quite a few standard engine mounts. I am currently using Landcruiser FJ20 mounts that are stiffer but have still torn.

So considering either making my own reinforced mounts or puchasing Cusco or these guys http://www.mmr-direct.com/, perfer not to go to solid mount at this stage.

Has anybody used Cusco or http://www.mmr-direct.com/ and had problems after hard use on track.i.e. tearing, splits etc

Thks

Chrs, PAt

Skylar
28th January 2011, 03:14 PM
Those MMR are virtually solid. I had some but gave 'em to a mate, he put them on a mate's car because stock mounts tore when pulling motor out. My mate and his mate just went like nah, not running 'em EVERYTHING in the car shakes. So now they sit on a shelf.
They're made of some real hard plastic stuff that won't move. I dunno why they don't just market them as solid as that's what they are. And they're only crush-type, ie one piece threaded rod with nuts on the end. Doubt these will ever break or wear though.

A guy I know used to get engine mounts made up. He had a piece of some stiff-ish rubber material in the middle of two delrin 'end pieces' I guess. One long bolt went through it and a nut held it on the other side. You could adjust engine stiffness but tightening the mount up more, crushing the rubber. With these, you could leave them real soft for normal driving as they only worked one way and tighten them right up if you were doing a track day or something.

Patrini
28th January 2011, 03:41 PM
Thks mate I was wondering how stiff they would be, would prefer to not put too much extra stress into the chassis as I am already struggling with cracks.

Chrs, Pat

assassin10000
28th January 2011, 06:20 PM
I ran cusco mounts for 5-6 years... and 2 motors, 3 transmissions, 4 axles and 8 R&P's. Lots of cluch kicking. No GZE so I had less torque, as I had a stock 16v. A little more vibration than stock at idle, but not bad at all. Still going on the 2nd motor (which I sold with the mounts).

Andrew

Sam-Q
28th January 2011, 06:58 PM
TRD make stiffer engine mounts