PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

autumn_86
30th January 2011, 10:26 PM
Hey guys i have a few questions,

ok these are probably stupid questions but i have no idea about 4age's but i know a lot of you do, any help would be greatly appreciated.

i recently brought a ae86 with a supercharged 4age, sc12 supercharger running a v belt setup, the motor has been re built around 4,000k's ago & has had the compression lowered, has twin external fuel pumps & surge tank, as in the pic below the supercharger is mounted on the opposite side to the 4agze

first question: is my supercharger meant to have a intercooler or is it fine not to have one? ( have had a quick google & seems everyone runs one)

second question: in a previous pic of the car (before i got it ) it looked as if it had a waste gate, do i need a waste gate or is it fine to run without one?

lastly i seem to have a vacuum leak but i can't find it anywhere, i say a vacuum leak as it idles rough would there be any other reason for that?

any help would be awesome.

Cheers,

15872http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/digitalvb/morbid_black/misc/pencil.png

haveaparty
31st January 2011, 10:18 AM
u dont hav to hav a intercooler, it would run better if it did cause there air going into the manifold would be colder,
waste gate isnt necessary, would make it sound cool tho,
and if its idleing rough, locate the idleing screw usually on the throttle body and open the throttle up a touch more, if still idles rough, do a good service on it, (plugs, leads, oil ect)

Adsie
31st January 2011, 01:08 PM
OT but why is there another pipe off the top of the plenum?

autumn_86
31st January 2011, 01:42 PM
Cheers for the help bud

I was told it was there because the old owner was going to run a Turbo also. I Have blocked it off and plan to buy a new plenum

autumn_86
31st January 2011, 04:46 PM
Can someone tell me how to install a waste gate or a link to a how to page, cheers

haveaparty
31st January 2011, 05:02 PM
a waste gate goes on ur exhaust mainifold, usually on turbo cars too, unless ur talking about a blow off valve, wat do u want it to do??, are u putting a smaller pulley on ur charger to run more boost at a lower rpm,

autumn_86
31st January 2011, 05:09 PM
Yeah I'm planning to up the boost, just want it how of was before I got it. Maybe it had a bov as it was mounted near the throttlebody ill get a pic so you can see
cheers for thehelp bud

autumn_86
31st January 2011, 05:21 PM
here's a pic of how it used to be

Hachi_Tom
31st January 2011, 06:40 PM
i dont see how you would run a wastegate.... i thought there had to be pressure in the exhaust manifold for one to work
but you could run BOV

autumn_86
31st January 2011, 07:36 PM
Yeah I was wrong it was a bov still would like some info on installing one :)

Skylar
31st January 2011, 08:05 PM
PD chargers care not for air pressure behind it. Only need them on turbos to avoid compressor surge. Then again, the engine won't ingest the air coming out of the blower because there's a throttle body in the way. Depends how the supercharger's switched on. I think I would put one on along with an intercooler.

That first picture totally blows my mind. I wanna know what the guy was thinking when he put that thing together.

autumn_86
31st January 2011, 08:32 PM
Yeah I know must have been drunk or stoned. Lol

Were Would I mount the bov? Looks like its on the pipe running from the throttle body to the charger & how will I for mounting up a fmic

Sorry for the noob questions

Skylar
31st January 2011, 09:52 PM
blow off valve will go anywhere between the supercharger/turbocharger and the throttle body. It's best to put the the bov as close to the throttle body as possible as that's where the pressure will build up for a split second as the butterfly shuts but doesn't really matter until you have 4088 making 700+ hp.

intercooler goes in front of the radiator, getting fresh air. Mounting depends on who's doing it. Usually a bracket from upper to lower rad support. Some guys put the rad back and mount the intercooler in the engine bay where the radiator used to be to reduce piping length.

autumn_86
31st January 2011, 10:03 PM
Cheers bud appreciate all the help

haveaparty
1st February 2011, 02:38 PM
bov would go on the super charger side, and plug in to a pressure line, well thats how u do on turbo cars, and if u google about the intercooler, u will get the idea of how they work

autumn_86
1st February 2011, 09:41 PM
cheers guys i have a fmic core was just wanting a guide on piping it up :)

haveaparty
2nd February 2011, 02:18 PM
well, u would mount the cooler where u wanted it before cutting any holes out, depending on how big ur cooler is most ppl put them behind the front bar, just above the front cross member, once u hav it mounted in the spot that looks cool u can go ahead measuring up where to cut the holes in ur rad support, once the holes are cut file the edge smooth and paint the bare metal to avoid it rusting, then its just a matter of doing the pipe work, if u dont want to hav to worry about getting bends and welding just go to an exhaust shop and buy a length of pipe from them, then u can measure and cut the pipe to length and for the bends go to ur local auto shop and get silcon bends and joiners, making sure u use good clamps other wise u will keep blowing pipes of the silicone joiners, if ur still not sure take a photo of ur cooler and a few of the front of the car and ill try to paint on where to cut and all that

autumn_86
2nd February 2011, 09:19 PM
Cheers bud if get stuck ill shoot you a pm with pics

haveaparty
3rd February 2011, 09:47 AM
no worries man

Skylar
3rd February 2011, 10:42 PM
if u dont want to hav to worry about getting bends and welding just go to an exhaust shop and buy a length of pipe from them, then u can measure and cut the pipe to length and for the bends go to ur local auto shop and get silcon bends and joiners, making sure u use good clamps other wise u will keep blowing pipes of the silicone joiners

Try not to do this. Not saying it won't work but it's the least reliable way to do it.

Get single piece charge pipes with straight humped couplers at both ends of the pipe with worm clamps.

autumn_86
18th February 2011, 03:14 PM
Cheers for help guys got it running awesome now
Thanks again