PDA

View Full Version : ae86 tachometer with standalone ecu

Grant #2
31st January 2011, 01:39 PM
I have been driving without a tach for about a year now and would like to get the thing going. It worked when I had the 20V with oem ECU, but that setup was pretty slow.

What do you guys do to get your tach working? I have been told the voltage output on my stand alone might not be enough to drive the tach? Do I need to sire in a pull up transformer? If so, any idea how much voltage the tach wants to see? My output is probably 5v or 12v coming out of the stand alone.

Thanks!

Skylar
31st January 2011, 08:10 PM
search gze tach/o mod. Do that then hook a 12v pull up resistor to the tach line coming out of the VEMS.

Stain
31st January 2011, 10:19 PM
what ecu? what ignition system?

if you still have a single coil you can run the tacho off the neg terminal like normal.
if uve got a coil over plug or coilpack setup and a aftermarket ecu like an adaptronic the tacho output signal isnt compatible with the 86 cluster.
but you can make up a tacho booster out of a relay to put in-line to give the correct signal.

assassin10000
1st February 2011, 01:04 PM
5v or 12v is not enough voltage to trigger the AE86 tach

Many do the tach booster, see here: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=22574

The MSD 8920 tach adapter does the same thing in a neat package (I have one for sale, if you want it I might be in the bay area this weekend and can bring it to save a few $ on shipping).

Andrew

Grant #2
1st February 2011, 05:04 PM
Andrew, how much u want for it?

Do you know what kind of voltage toyota tachs need?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm running wasted spark so actually I probably will have to do the gze mod anyways?

assassin10000
1st February 2011, 09:32 PM
Wasted spark shouldn't matter if your ECU has an output. The ECU should output a signal for EVERY spark event.

I think the tach expects to see between 20-40v back EMF voltage spike from the coil negative when it fires, could be higher but that's what I recall. $43 which is what I paid for it, it's brand new I just opened the package to look at it.

Andrew