PDA

View Full Version : Smokey 4AGE?

bally
3rd March 2011, 09:52 PM
Hey guys I'm still new to the 4AGE seen but I've just finished doing a 4AGE conversion on my KE70. Had it up and running last night which made me proud of myself lol
Any way on a more serious note, I changed all the fluids in the car today and then connected up the temp sender on the firewall and gave it crank and it started but there was smoke coming out of the exhaust??? I'd like to add that my oxy sensor is not getting a proper reading as it is just at the end of the extractors held on by a bolt as I've had no time to get an exhaust made up but i'll be heading out to get one made up this weekend.

Could this be because the oxy sensor is not getting a good reading?
Possible vacuum leak?
ecu error or sensor related?
Surge tank setup pushing forward too much fuel? (VLT internal and external pumps)

Could someone please send me in the right direction?

Thanks

lolwat
3rd March 2011, 09:55 PM
what colour smoke

timbo
3rd March 2011, 10:27 PM
if it be blue, it be oil remedied by new rings and some toil
if it be white do not fright, coolant be your plight
if it be black your engines slack and fuel will be what you lack!

4ag te72
3rd March 2011, 10:27 PM
hey guys im pretty new here, slowly gettin used of the site,
are u running 2 high pressure pumps for ur fuel setup?

on another note, i got my 4ag running a couple of days ago, its idling nice an smooth, though a tad high, but as i accellerate it just bogs down an takes ages to rev up? anyone have any idea? im thinkin the cambelt might be out a notch? or if anyones in adelaide an wants to lend a hand haha

timbo
3rd March 2011, 11:10 PM
hey guys im pretty new here, slowly gettin used of the site,
are u running 2 high pressure pumps for ur fuel setup?

on another note, i got my 4ag running a couple of days ago, its idling nice an smooth, though a tad high, but as i accellerate it just bogs down an takes ages to rev up? anyone have any idea? im thinkin the cambelt might be out a notch? or if anyones in adelaide an wants to lend a hand haha

it revs fine in neutral but not under load? if so it is definitely a timing issue.

lolwat
3rd March 2011, 11:12 PM
why 2 pressure pumps?? you sure one isnt a lift pump
pull timing belt covers off and by hand (spanner) aline all the timing marks and see if there is one cam out

4ag te72
3rd March 2011, 11:15 PM
yea, im pretty sure i got the dizzy timing alright, but i think the cam belt might be out? dunno? could that be the cause?
an also it still revs like crap even when in gear? desperatly need it running lol

4ag te72
3rd March 2011, 11:18 PM
yea i'll try that after work tomorrow, im all new to this twin cam stuff lmao

lolwat
3rd March 2011, 11:29 PM
let us know

4ag te72
3rd March 2011, 11:32 PM
will do, cheers for ur advise mate

bally
4th March 2011, 12:05 AM
if it be blue, it be oil remedied by new rings and some toil
if it be white do not fright, coolant be your plight
if it be black your engines slack and fuel will be what you lack!

ok i think its white so i do not fright. haha loving these rhymes.

why does this happen? why does white smoke pour out?

Deeken
4th March 2011, 01:45 AM
Headgasket is white? :S

timbo
4th March 2011, 02:14 PM
it be head gasket most likely. white is where water or coolant is mixing with your oil, and the most likely place is between the head and block. head gasket is relatively straight forward to fix. check under your oil filler cap to see if its milky, this means there is condensation in there which would be from water/coolant.

lolwat
4th March 2011, 08:24 PM
it be head gasket most likely. white is where water or coolant is mixing with your oil, and the most likely place is between the head and block. head gasket is relatively straight forward to fix. check under your oil filler cap to see if its milky, this means there is condensation in there which would be from water/coolant.
i find it better to check the actualy dipstick, as i check under the oil cap of every car i service and there asre quite a few that are milky, and there is defently no head gasket issues, if your head is leaking coolant into compustion chamber take your radiator cap off and see how stable the water is, if it keeps bubbly no fucking stop you got an issue

timbo
5th March 2011, 01:05 PM
good point lolwat. maybe even drain your radiator and flush it and see if there is any oil in that? coolant is cheap as chips anyway.

Casey-G
5th March 2011, 05:58 PM
It would be even betterer to do a leakdown test.. if you get bubbles in the radiator then its either HG or cracked head/block guaranteed.

bally
6th March 2011, 11:21 AM
ok so I've been doing a few tests but all of them have been at night which made me believe that the smoke was white. The smoke is kinda bluish and when i turn the car off I get a few drips of oil coming out of the extractors clearly meaing that it is oil for sure.
My question to you guys is that my 4AGE is out of an AE82 and I havn't plumbed up the oil cooler but I have blocked off the lines with the same sized bolts. Could this be a gallery which the oil needs to travel through? or is it just an optional path for the oi?

Could it also be because the engine has been tilted over, etc before I installed it?

Because when i bought the motor I bough a complete car which was running and that I'd drove home and it didnt blow any smoke at all.

lolwat
6th March 2011, 11:55 AM
if you had it full of oil and tipped it on its side, its going to piss smoke out for ages till it burns it all off, cause it would of gone in places it shouldnt of

timbo
6th March 2011, 12:27 PM
those oil cooler lines would not have an effect, having them blocked it like not having them there at all. mind you, if you are concerned just plumb the line from the block into the sump return.

if the motor has been tipped like you said lolwat it right, there will be oil everywhere. just let it run for a while and make sure it isn't burning excess oil.

lolwat
6th March 2011, 12:57 PM
, let it run, jsut sitting there take it for a fang, and see how bad it is, if you cant get rid of it, i wa told this by an old chap when my mum over filled the lawn mower, so i wont be offended when you say "yea bs im going to do that" get a spray bottle and spray in a fine mist water into TB (cleared the mower up LOL)