PDA

View Full Version : Fresh 4age smallport hunting idle

keimeier
12th March 2011, 09:50 PM
motor - 4age smallport

problem - Hunting Idle between 1-2krpm

occurs/started when - chucked fresh motor in and wired up. Started hunting first time we started it

personal situation (if applicable)- car is at workshop atm with many knowledgeable mechanics trying to fix and rectify the problem, but so far no luck. Have done many searches but with no luck with the ideas provided from them such as tps and leaking inlet manifold & air trapped in system etc...

dont have throttle body cooling sys hooked up but all lines are blocked off with nipples properly. or do i need to fuck it off all together and get a blocking plate made up?

however when you place a finger over the top hole to the left inside the throttle body, the hunting goes away...? (as the vid shows first bit is with it blocked last 2 secs is hunting)

can u just block off this hole or not?

any help much appreciated. car has been a year in the works and just want to drive the fuckin thing :)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150206092173378

Nikkojoe
12th March 2011, 09:56 PM
If you dont have coolant hooked up to the cold start, the valve inside will be open all the time. Therefore if you don't hook them up at all, might as well plate it off to stop the giant vac leak (either a plate or thick gasket paper and bolt the thing back on).

The hole you block off inside the throttle body is the port for either the idle screw, but most likely the cold start intake port.

Also video link doesnt work ;)

lolwat
12th March 2011, 09:56 PM
if its sucking air though there you should hear it hissing its tits off, get a can of carby cleaner and spray around the mani etcetc if you think there's leaks, you will hear it bog down

and im sorry but if blocking the hole on the tb fixes it why havent you already blocked it and thrashing it already??

slide86
12th March 2011, 10:00 PM
refer facebook for my ideas, also note my comment bout bedding the rings in........

keimeier
12th March 2011, 11:22 PM
no worries thanks guys

cheers huw think ill get it pluged up, then do a few decent runs loading it up the freeway

keimeier
13th March 2011, 07:24 PM
vid fixed nikkojoe :)

keimeier
15th March 2011, 11:31 PM
solved flipped throttle body gasket

keimeier
22nd March 2011, 09:12 PM
back again same issue

hunting has begun again all the time, once warm and idle is over 1500rpm with no more adjustment

think its the throttle body not sealing correctly but still not sure, after having a long hard look at a spare..

TOFU
22nd March 2011, 09:23 PM
i got the same dumb problem let me know when u find out what the hell is its problem

Nikkojoe
22nd March 2011, 10:05 PM
as i said in my first post, if you aint running the cold start setup (ie no water lines), remove the valve and plate it up OR put a thick gasket paper in between the valve and trottle body.

keimeier
22nd March 2011, 10:51 PM
sorry nikko recently re-read your post. makes sense will give it a shot. thanks for your help let you know how i go. cheers

keimeier
24th March 2011, 06:47 PM
all sorted i think cheers nickkojoe :)

today i did a few tests and decided to make up a quick fix gasket to see if that was my problem, as nikkojoe said. i made a double sided weetbix box gasket, as suggested by a reputable exhaust shop. and what do you know it did the trick!

put everyhting back on, without adjustment and it would kick over but die. adjusted the ISCV and bang perfect idle 800rpm. this was cold tho so should i adjust it more or wait till its warm..?

and yes dont worry weetbix gasket wont stay just messing around, going to sprints tomorrow

finally i thought i should add, my neighbours have called the cops out on me twice this week due to the hunting (as they think im purposely doing it) and possibly facing a fine next time which is why i have not let it warm up, was on in total for about a minute today lol and i dont trust my gasket hahaha

thanks again let us know what u think cheers james :)

Nikkojoe
24th March 2011, 09:55 PM
800 at cold should be fine. It will be around the 1100-1200 warm but shouldn't hunt at that. Usually hunting will only start when there is a great enough air leak to cause 2000rpm at idle. The ecu cuts fuel to knock idle down in case of a cracked manifold or something, which is what causes the hunting.

keimeier
25th March 2011, 01:00 AM
yeh thought so like its going down a hill, the ecu turns off injectors, cuts fuel but then hits lower limit and kicks back in

thanks for all your help mate! cant thank you enough will get a vid up on the weekend :)

matt86
19th May 2011, 11:21 PM
same thing for me! block the hole and the problem stops.. i would however like to run cold idle. does anyone know of a rebuild part for this, or toyota part number for new cold idle up valve?
cheers.

Nikkojoe
20th May 2011, 01:56 AM
Do you actually have the coolant lines for it? If not, you need them.

If you do and it doesn't work, make sure:
-Coolant is bled
-Coolant lines to the throttle body are not blocked with sludge
-Remove the valve and give it a good clean up with throttle body cleaner, followed by lots of wd40.

If all those fail, get another throttle body. There are minor differences between the 4age idle up valves over the years, but they are all interchangeable.