PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely stumped with 4AGTE

AE86 Spoontah
13th March 2011, 08:11 PM
Been a while since i been on here and likewise since i have started my near fresh 4AGTE.

The problem i have is as follows:
Plugs 2 and 4 were dripping with fresh oil when i tried to start the car yesterday. All cylinders had ~160psi compression when i tested them yesterday too. Cleaned both plugs three times and they were continously covered in oil.
Pulled the head off today expecting to see the pots full of oil but there is almost none, just a slight film in number 2.
Looked at the valves in the head and they have no oil on them at all.

Now I can't remember if i'm correct, but if you hook up the hose between the intake plenum and the cam cover with a turbo, it will pressurise the sump and force the oil up.

Any advice much appreciated

Gunner
13th March 2011, 08:29 PM
Yes if there is a breather line from the rocker covers to any part of the induction system that see's positive pressure, you will have issues.

Ideally, you would run your breather lines, to a catch tank, and vent it to the induction pipe feeding the turbo. Or you could forget the catch tank altogether, but thats up to you.

But in saying that, if the car isn't running, it is very unlikely that, that is the issue.

Oil in the cylinders will just about void any comp test. Squirting a small amount of oil into the cylinders is a good old school way to source damaged rings when an engine is down on comp.

I wouldn't be looking much further than fried rings, or even damaged ring lands (pinched rings allowing oil past) Could be alot of things though.

Get some pics up of how oily cyl 2 is.

AE86 Spoontah
13th March 2011, 09:25 PM
I did have a catch can on but i was going to get the car ready for licensing and completely forgot about that issue with pressurising.

I did have the car running for about 30 seconds 2 years ago and once i turned it off it never started again.

I filled the engine up with fresh oil as it had been sitting for so long and cranked it over. Checked the plugs after and they were wet and even the number 2 lead was dripping with oil.
The head is fresh as with it having new valve stem seals and decked.

The engine has done barely 500km in 2 years and i built it with the help of my old man who is an absolute perfectionist who checked everything 3 times over. The ring spacings were taken from the 4AG rebuild guide.

It's got us both stumped. No pics as i cleaned them up. The oil was a super thin film, like you were applying oil to an oil filter seal before you put it on

Gunner
13th March 2011, 09:59 PM
is there oil in the plug valley?

May sound silly, but have you spilt oil in the valley filling it up? may explain why oil is on the leads. Wouldn't take much oil to make it appear as there was something major happening.

When you were running it, did it have any blow by in the catch can, or was it smokey at any point.

Is it tight to turn over?

Did you check all the clearances prior to putting it together?

I'm not doubting you or your old mans work, but it doesn't take much for a new engine to get hurt. I have had engines hang rods at 2000rpm, and haven't done 5ks (always check clearances, never trust a machining shop to get it right)

AE86 Spoontah
13th March 2011, 10:17 PM
Na i thought it may have been that but i used a funnel that was a tight fit in the filler hole and there was no oil running down the cover and there is no way oil could run down to number 4 from filling it without noticing.

It was pretty smokey on startup but that was probably the oil in the bores from assembly.

It's not tight at all to turn over. Turns like a normal freshly built engine when it starts getting compression resistance is felt but never binds up.
No scoring in the bores either.

Yeah all clearances were checked and the workshop is very reputable over here.

Gunner
13th March 2011, 11:06 PM
after 500ks there should be no oil in the bores from assembly.

unless the plugs were loose, and you have a big problem, there is no way oil could get on the leads with out an external leak (rocker covers maybe)

if you were able to run it, it would be far easier to figure out.

When it was together and you cranked it over what happened? did it fire any cylinders at all?

AE86 Spoontah
13th March 2011, 11:29 PM
I'll set out a timeline which will probably be easier.

Complete rebuild with all new seals, TRD .5mm oversize pistons and rings, decked and honed.
Drove it for about a week until T28 blew seal
Replaced with another T28
Stock ECU fried so got another one
Started it about 2 years ago after redoing alot of things over a period of about 1 year (slightly smokey) and it ran fine for about 30 seconds unti i turned it off as i had a hose leak.
Went to wire in lift pump that same night i started it and it hasn't ran since.

Gunner
13th March 2011, 11:45 PM
all I can suggest is you go right over it all, put it back together, and go from there. there is too many variables, and more than one thing could be wrong

AE86 Spoontah
13th March 2011, 11:54 PM
Yeah that's pretty much the way it's heading although i don't want to put the head back on to find i still have a problem and waste a new HKS head gasket.

Cheers for your help Gunner

Gunner
14th March 2011, 11:47 AM
use an elcheapo gasket, dont go wasting a metal gasket on it.

worked
15th March 2011, 01:26 AM
what happened to the t28? seals?
are the inlet pipes oily, inlet manifold?
long shot but i've heard of that happening before

AE86 Spoontah
15th March 2011, 03:34 PM
Yeah, but the old T28 blew the rear seal so there was oil in the dump
The pipes are clean as.
I'm going to pull the inlet off today and have a look to see if one of the valve stem seals is fucked.

FAST EDDIE
15th March 2011, 06:21 PM
put hg on the wrong way so the oil galley is filling the cylinder instead of pumping to teh rockers?

FAST EDDIE
15th March 2011, 06:22 PM
valve stem seals wont let that much oil through while running but will while sitting not that much tho

AE86 Spoontah
16th March 2011, 11:07 PM
Pulled off inlet mani and there is no oil in there or in the ports.

The only thing i can think of is that my cam cover seals aren't sealing 100%. Found oil underneath the fuel rail too.

AE86 Spoontah
20th March 2011, 06:09 PM
So i put the head back on today and found my oil problem to be the cam cover seals leaking when filling up engine oil too quick. . .

Anyway i have another problem now, i have no injector pulse when using a noid light and my Bosch 040 isn't pumping at all. When i spray a bit of "start ya bastard" in i get a little cough. Anyone know which wires provide power to injectors as this is my problem.

Nikkojoe
21st March 2011, 12:28 AM
If stock ecu, check your injector reistor pack has power. Usually has a black orange ignition wire (or black red) going into the 3 pin plug, then 2 going to each injector bank.

Then also check your ECU has ignition power, but if it coughs with start ya barstard then that should be fine.

AE86 Spoontah
21st March 2011, 09:55 PM
Had more of a fiddle with the loom on Sunday and it's all fucked up. Now got no accessories (had them at one stage during the day), have power to the #10 pinout when cranking but no injector pulse on 1 and 3, no power to #20 pinout so no power to injector 2 and 4, some random wire with 12v to it when cranking but it's not connected anywhere and it cranks when the key isn't on the ignition position. I'm now booking the car in to the guy that wired it up and he can sort it out however he want's!