PDA

View Full Version : Hilux rear end or T series LSD rear end for 4AGTE

s3phro
18th March 2011, 09:37 AM
Heya Guys,

I'm picking up a gze this weekend and I was going to grab a jap lsd rear end at the same time, how ever i'm looking at going 4agte in the future and I'm wondering, how will the t series rear end hold up?

This is a street/track car so it'll see hill climbs, malala, drift days etc.. I dont think it'd cost me that much more to go a hilux rear end which i'm pretty sure I wont break, what's your thoughts?

Cheers guys!

fantapants
18th March 2011, 09:54 AM
hilux is too heavy.

f series is more than plenty, has better spread of lsd options blah blah blah.

fwiw josh young ran his trd t series at 150 - 180 rwkw from his trubo 4a for i think 2 years.... the trd is the softest of the am lsd... its transitions are not as light switch as he others....josh also paid a lot of attention to regular servicing if i recal... the diff was pulled and all bearings and seals replaced yearly. He was also a bit smoother than a lot of guys who chop the fuck outa the car to slide.... all these points went a long way to his reliability.

Delazy
18th March 2011, 10:18 AM
From memory beau yates also gave a t series a good punishing before moving onto an f series in a quest of more power/reliability...

Id have complete faith in a t series if i was running under 180kw

assassin10000
18th March 2011, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't. But I drive like a maniac and killed 7 t-series R&P on a stock bluetop.

Andrew

Hen may possibly be a nut
18th March 2011, 07:54 PM
I'm sure a T series can be made to work with a mild to nice 4AGTE. But personally I'd always be worried about it and have doubts at the back of my mind. Changing to something a bit bigger (F would also be what I'd recommend) will mean you never have to think about it again.

I broke several T series diffs (some axles, once crownwheel and pinion) with a 4AGZE, but you learn along the way what you can do to encourage them to last longer, and towards the end they'd hold up for a fair while.

FAST EDDIE
18th March 2011, 09:18 PM
i ran a t series for years with a trd lsd in my drift car making over 160kw, upgraded to an f series just coz, t series still runs in my street sprinte, wasr behind a 4agte aswell, all depends on teh condition of the gears, who aligns them and how regularly you change the oil. for peace of mind runn an r31 or f series

Hen may possibly be a nut
18th March 2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah, agree with Eddie's point. There is a big difference between a 20yr old centre from the wreckers that you weld up and a properly setup and maintained diff. I ran the former. The latter is a better bet for long life.

R&D Mechanical
18th March 2011, 11:48 PM
I have a r31 diff, over 200kw 4agte, cheap, easy to get parts for, no problems

ke_70
19th March 2011, 10:06 AM
has anyone ever weighed an f or r31 diff?

assassin10000
19th March 2011, 11:16 AM
I never did, but I suppose I could. Anyone got the weight of the JDM t-series (disc brakes) for comparison?

Andrew

johl
19th March 2011, 05:08 PM
I had to weigh up my t series with cusco LSD and drum brakes with complete tail shaft and it was 74kg. Unfortunately I didn't weigh it without tail shaft.

When I had to lift my f series out of the back of my car by myself it felt like it was in the region of 75-85kg

FAST EDDIE
19th March 2011, 07:21 PM
only thing is with 31 diff is limited ratios that are wack think there is 3. for a f series ther is about 20 different up to 5.3!!!

assassin10000
20th March 2011, 08:07 AM
No worries, I know the stock 2-piece drive line is just over 21 lbs (about 9.5 kg). So the ADM T-series would be about 64.5 kg. I'm not too sure how off the drum to disc brake weight difference would be.

I'll have to dig my spare F-series out of the shed and weigh it.

Andrew