PDA

View Full Version : AE86 Disc T-series into AE71/KE70 Sed - Handbrake cables, what is going on?

Golberg
28th March 2011, 06:29 PM
Alright well I thought I knew a bit about this, but it seems this area has escaped me.

I finally got around to putting my Zenki AE86 disc rear end into my 4AGE AE71. Everything on the diff goes in fine as expected but the handbrake cables won't fit.

I've drawn I little diagram to explain.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/8/0/66310.jpg

See the small white boxes inline with the handbrake cables
Those are the mounts which bolt the cables to the underside of the body. The position of the point where the cables bolt in is too far forward (on the cables themselves) such that when you bolt the cables in correctly they are already almost tight.

Now even if you adjust the cable at the handbrake lever right out its still not right.

Has anybody come across this issue before? If so what did you do?

I'm currently thinking to getting custom cables made up.

Hachi_Tom
28th March 2011, 06:46 PM
i have the opposite problem in my car
i snapped an axle so i threw out the standard s series, atm i have a ae71 auto diff just to keep me going (car is my daily aswell as track car)
and the cables are too long, handbrake doesnt work at all.

not sure of the help of this, but maybe the 86 cables are just too short for a ke/ae, if it was a track car id just get a hydraulic in there. but if its daily get custom cables made up? cant be that much...

blair
28th March 2011, 07:18 PM
Have you tried using the cables from the car?

i.e. whatever cables you were running on the old diff... try swapping them, or at least measuring them to see if they're a bit longer... (if they were working... then why wouldnt they work on the new diff?)

Seventy
28th March 2011, 08:10 PM
I have this problem too!!!
Im using a ae86 t section at the handbrake but one side of the diff is sooooo tight still
Ill be watching this thread closely, as i need to do something soon, cos its shithouse

rthy
28th March 2011, 08:15 PM
the ae86 s series into a ae71, i used the borgy handbrake cables, donno if it will work with the disk rer end?

Golberg
28th March 2011, 08:41 PM
i have the opposite problem in my car
i snapped an axle so i threw out the standard s series, atm i have a ae71 auto diff just to keep me going (car is my daily aswell as track car)
and the cables are too long, handbrake doesnt work at all.

not sure of the help of this, but maybe the 86 cables are just too short for a ke/ae, if it was a track car id just get a hydraulic in there. but if its daily get custom cables made up? cant be that much...

This makes sense, because you'd have the opposite floor pan to myself. As others have suggested you'll get away fine if you can get some standard S series cables and put them on the borgy.

Have you tried using the cables from the car?

i.e. whatever cables you were running on the old diff... try swapping them, or at least measuring them to see if they're a bit longer... (if they were working... then why wouldnt they work on the new diff?)

Sadly cannot be done because the disc rear has completely different ends to the drum rear.

johl
28th March 2011, 08:57 PM
with my old ke with t series drum i used the cables that were on the car and they only just stretched to fit. unlucky for you being disc rear end but you may have to go custom

Seventy
4th April 2011, 12:21 AM
still no solutions? i need to fix this soon, hopfully dont have to go custom cables, surely someones fixed this before.

blake.
4th April 2011, 06:31 AM
I have the same problem with mine, its real tight on the drivers side. I knew matt (pen15) had the same diff so I called him, he said the only fix is ethier custom cables or a hydro. I will be going down the hydro setup way as it is cheaper.

LittleRedSpirit
4th April 2011, 10:36 AM
Mine works good.

In my ae71 I have an AE86 Kouki rear end, factory discs and calipers, and stock ae86 jdm handbrake cables that came with the diff. You cant use a ke70 or ae86 cable from the handbrake to the equaliser. You need to use one from an sv11 Camry. Thats what I did, its near the limit of the adjustment but its functional. The equaliser should tilt and balance out the uneveness in the cables or their housings. The ae86 cables bolt in fine to my car in the little clips under the body and still reach the calipers fine.

Seventy
4th April 2011, 11:56 AM
ok ill try a sv11 one but im using ae86 one adjusted to the max cos the ke70 one was too short.
The evening out section is maxed out in oposite directions on each side aswell im pretty sure.

LittleRedSpirit
4th April 2011, 06:48 PM
The fact that the equaliser is sitting crooked just means you probably have 2 different age cables there, an old stretched one (or old one with a compressed housing) and a fresher one perhaps.

There is an abay seller called cabetoyota in Long beach California that has new handbrake cables for sale 120 US plus post.

You cant use the nylon beads to retain it up near the gearbox, I just left that loose, I plan to make a retainer for the rear chassis rails like the ae86 has normally, and brace it there to stiffen the thing up. its a touch spongy feeling as it is now.

Cheers.

Seventy
5th April 2011, 10:54 AM
Littleredspirit, do the ae71 have have those brackets that secure the cable to car in the same spot or in different spots like in the picture in the first post.
When my handbreak is off the drivers side is still very tight and the passanger side is very loose and actually has slack in it

lolwat
6th April 2011, 11:45 PM
I have the same problem with mine, its real tight on the drivers side. I knew matt (pen15) had the same diff so I called him, he said the only fix is ethier custom cables or a hydro. I will be going down the hydro setup way as it is cheaper.
ring paul he said he knows how to fix it with washers

Patric
7th April 2011, 12:01 AM
had the same issue, got around it by knocking off a set of brackets (the white blcoks in your picture) from another ke70/ae71 and moving them. (bolted them in actually) Using ae86 hand brake cables. (got them from the local pick and pull)
easiest way to get them off another car is to drill out the spot welds with a portable drill. then a hammer and flat blade screw driver.
I know its not the most elegant solution but it worked.
The sv11 cables sound nicer. plenty at local pick and pull.

LittleRedSpirit
7th April 2011, 01:31 AM
The clips under the car arent supposed to be in perfect symmetrical positions, the cables have them at odd lengths on 86 and 71. The only part you need from the sv11 is the small cable from the handbrake with the equaliser on it, this should give you the adjustment you need.

anastasios
29th September 2013, 11:27 PM
Hi all. Going about this conversion atm.

I have ae86 disc handbrake cables. I believe I need sv11 handbrake top cable? Can this be bought from toyota?

Also early or late model sv11

anastasios
30th September 2013, 09:26 AM
I have had a look at the part numbers for SV11 cable assembly no 1

there are two part numbers

84-86, 46410-32010 (same part as 1986 SV21R camry)
83-84, 46410-32030 (same part as 1988 SV21 camry)

Does anyone know which one is correct?