PDA

View Full Version : 4agze pistons into a ae92 NA smallport block

Cerby86
1st April 2011, 01:40 PM
Hey everyone.

So there is a bit of a story to this but I will try and make it clear.
I have an ae71 with a ae92 smallport 4age in it. A while ago I bought a motor which was advertised as a 4agze.
When i inspected it I found its actually an ae92 smallport same as mine with a charger hanging off it. I asked the guy and he assured me it had GZE pistons in it.
Anyway I bought the motor. I really shouldn't have but hey you live and learn. Later I was told the pistons which are in it are actually 12:1 compression ACL pistons.
Right so thats the back story.

Now here is the point/points.

12:1 comp with a sc12. should I try it or not? Note I don't have heaps to spend and this car is my daily, though i am running an adaptronic ecu.

If the high comp pistons are a no go,
Can i fit GZE pistons? Any particular type? Anything I need to know re machining anything or rings or whatever?

How much and where do I get them?

And completely off topic how much are high comp pistons worth?

I know this is a bit broad but I really want to get this motor in as the old NA isn't powerful enough anymore but i can't afford to spend up on it. And if I have to spend up on it then I will sell the motor and just pick up an sr20 package.

Cheers
Mark

70XIN
1st April 2011, 01:49 PM
1.That's fairly high compression, especially to be supercharged - LOTS of honda guys would run a similar setup, but ideally you want to be a point or three lower in compression.

2. GZE pistons will fit fine. They 8.9:1 ones are the way to go. Since you already have aftermarket pistons, i wouldn't buy your new gze pistons until you see an engine builder, and they tell you what bore size you're currently on (there's a good change you're already 0.5mm/20 thou oversize), and whether or not the previous bore job was done well or not.

3. For rings, just buy the toyota rings meant for the pistons - again, wait until you can confirm bore size.

4. With the strong aus-usd conversion rate, i'd be buying from the states. PASS racing sell them for $450 with rings, there might be cheaper places though.

5. Now that they're used? All depends on condition, and what people are willing to pay for them - i would say anywhere from 150-350

Cerby86
1st April 2011, 04:07 PM
awesome! Well thats pretty much covered my questions! Plus rep for awesome answer lol
do toyota still sell the pistons? just curious to see if there's much of a spread! Can anyone recommend any other shops to be looking at? when i googled i couldn't find much but then that might just be me haha
well i reckon i'll just start stripping the motor down and take the block on in!

Sam-Q
1st April 2011, 09:26 PM
take the head off and take a picture of the pistons, me and others should be able to tell you pretty quick what you have

Cerby86
1st April 2011, 11:57 PM
cool I got the motor back to my new place today! I actually have a garage here so that will be novel :P
Hopefully I'll be able to get it on the stand tomorrow if my flat mate isn't going to be at work or talks me into putting his gti swift motor together first haha
Man I am super keen to get this done now !!!