PDA

View Full Version : Removing quarter glass and plastics?

stefan
6th April 2011, 10:43 AM
Hey everyone, i have to fix some rust just under the rear quarter windows, but i don't know whats involved in removing the glass and the plastic strips, I've searched here and google and cannot find anything, if someone has some advice that would be great.
Cheers

Rice86
6th April 2011, 10:53 AM
if they have never been removed before it will seem a bit tricky

the blackstrips are held together at each joint with tape on the underside. not much you can do about this until the strips are removed
and the way to do so is to remove the shortest and smallest strip you can, i think they are the corner black strips, once they have been removed
the others are basically held on with clips
you have to SLIDE the strips off, do not yank and pull it out, they SLIDE out!
putting them back in and making them sit flush is the hard part

haveaparty
6th April 2011, 11:13 AM
if ur in parkinson near browns plains QLD i could give u a hand, being a panel beater i can work out how to pull apart any thing, and could also pull ur windows out if ur got a knife

Nikkojoe
6th April 2011, 02:04 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/1/0/552049.jpg

That's what the ae86 manual says

stefan
6th April 2011, 03:24 PM
Ok, so the plastics are pretty self explanitory, as for the glass i take it, it's just glued in place?

Thanks for the offer havaparty, i am just down the road, i'll have ago and if i get stuck i'll give you a yell.

haveaparty
6th April 2011, 04:02 PM
yeah no worries man, and the glass will most proly be glued in, so for that, get a stanley knife with a long blade, go on the inside of the window starting anywhere and slowly cut the window glue, dont try and cut through in one go as it wont work. just put light pressure on the knife and slice from one corner to another. i may even hav a proper window removal blade somewhere lol. if u need a hand just say the word, im only at waterford west

Nikkojoe
6th April 2011, 04:27 PM
Just remember to undo the clips before removing the window (and keep them in order).

Quarter windows should only be stuck on with a foam seal (unless they have been pulled off before and a dumb ass used sikaflex - that sucks balls). When you put them back on you can get the foam seal stuff from supershits or bunnings. They usually have adhesive at least on one side, then just get some contact adhesive/cement and put it on the other side (otherwise you were lucky enough to find the foam seal with double sided adhesive).

Dylan
6th April 2011, 07:22 PM
^This. Also make sure you don't lose any of the little seals on the clips.

stefan
7th April 2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks guys, have got the clips off and will attack the glass at a later date.
Cheers