PDA

View Full Version : (to borrow, bris) 4a sump

Shifty
12th April 2011, 02:56 PM
guys

wanting to borrow a 4a sump please

i'm getting a new one made and just need one for a couple of days to use as a template

mrbigport
5th May 2011, 11:17 AM
i have one here u can have

marvis
5th May 2011, 12:31 PM
I got a spare one here in ipswich if it's still required.

Shifty
9th May 2011, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys, I was able to organise one - should be back from the laser cutter shortly :)

DR86FT
9th May 2011, 02:43 PM
guys

wanting to borrow a 4a sump please

i'm getting a new one made and just need one for a couple of days to use as a template

what are you doing to it and how much $$$ is it costin

Shifty
16th May 2011, 09:12 AM
I'm making a complete new sump, from aluminium.

I used the sump I borrowed, to get the design of the base plate & then had it laser cut from 10mm aluminium plate. If anyone needs this kind of stuff done, make sure you have a clear idea of what you need and then contact Laws Laser in Brisbane. They did a great job & for a fair price.

Although laser cutting isn't ideal for thick aluminium plate it's still much neater / faster than doing it by hand and much cheaper than other options like CNC routing and water jetting. As you can see by the pictures it still came up very well, but thinner & harder materials like stainless steel are much better for laser work and you aren't left with rough edges (especially around bolt holes).

When I have the time I'll be using some thinner material (4-5mm sheet) to make the sides and baffling and then having it welded up. If you were paying someone to do this job from start to finish you'd easily expect $500-$1000, but as I've done the running around myself, am making up the sides myself, and a mate is welding it for me, it'll be done for <$200 including materials.

Nicko
16th May 2011, 09:32 AM
Won't an ally sump be a bit brittle if it gets hit by say, a rock at high speed?

DR86FT
16th May 2011, 12:25 PM
Doesn't anyone make an alloy sump for the 4ag?

Shifty
16th May 2011, 01:32 PM
Not like this they don't. I'm making a mid-sump for an engine conversion.

Shifty
16th May 2011, 01:34 PM
Won't an ally sump be a bit brittle if it gets hit by say, a rock at high speed?

yeah.... no

Nicko
16th May 2011, 02:00 PM
how thick are we talking?

Shifty
16th May 2011, 04:18 PM
base plate laser cut from 10mm aluminium plate
4-5mm sheet to make the sides / baffling / pan

As above!

Nicko
16th May 2011, 04:20 PM
Sorry, must have missed that

Keen to see how this look qwhen you're done...

Shifty
16th May 2011, 04:22 PM
It will probably look like a dog's breakfast. In my opinion, fabricated alloy stuff always looks messy... good thing it's under the engine :)