PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox / clutch / other noise, how to work out what's what?

70XIN
24th April 2011, 07:38 PM
Okay, so my car runs and stuff (yaaay), but i'm getting a LOT of noise from the gearbox area.

Nearly everything is new - from the thrust bearing to MOST of the clutch to the flywheel etc.

It makes a good deal of whirring noise when in neutral and maybe even more when driving - it is perfectly quiet with the clutch pressed in.

There are three things i'm suspect about *shrugs*

-Spigot bearing - i put it in at the last minute, probably a bit rougher than i should haha
-Clutch plate - was used, and in somewhat unknown condition - the rest of the flywheel/clutch setup was new
-The gearbox itself - was reassembled by a well-known gearbox shop, but hey, shit happens - they could've easily stuffed up.

Is there any easy ways to diagnose the problem (possibly, without ripping it all out straight up).

Thanks, Seamus

Skylar
25th April 2011, 03:54 AM
Not the spigot: spigot only does stuff when there's a speed differential between engine and input shaft, ie when clutch is pressed.

Could be throw out. Nikkojoe's car's thowout's so bad that I think I blew the engine after every tuning run. More a knock than a whirr but goes away when pressed in.

Does the noise go away as soon as you press the clutch or does it stay on for a split second.

Input shaft and layshaft are driven while off the clutch and come to a slow stop when on the clutch. My guess is that it's in here. I'll have a look at the t-50 that apart on the bench but I doubt there's anything that might cause a whirring noise. Whirring like a bad gear 'alignment'(can't think of theright word now) on a diff?

timbo
26th April 2011, 11:46 AM
my old throw out bearing was shagged and made a heap of noise. had a new one pressed on over at NPC and now makes a lot less noise, hoever ever my pressure plate was worn to the point where the bearing was scoring the tabs... so i think thats my problem and quite possibly yours.

Oly AE86
27th April 2011, 05:20 PM
I had a nasty rattle with a BRAND new Nachi throwout bearing that came with my new Exedy HD Cushioned Button. Sounded horrid until the clutch was depressed. When removed the bearing felt really good, but was replaced and made the difference. If its not 100 square onto the carrier it could possible cause noise, but I don't its that easy to mount wrong, and your not that rough!

70XIN
28th April 2011, 12:18 AM
hahaha, yeah, i'll keep the throwout bearing in mind. i'm taking it to hart transmission on the weekend - but the diagnosis is basically that it's fuxed. yay. anyone got a spare is200 box? ;)

Delazy
28th April 2011, 12:22 AM
hahaha, yeah, i'll keep the throwout bearing in mind. i'm taking it to hart transmission on the weekend - but the diagnosis is basically that it's fuxed. yay. anyone got a spare is200 box? ;)

Lol!! Poor bloke!! But im soon to hav a is200 box!! Its not spare and no you cant have it :p

Can point u in the right direction in southern states tho...but ill warn the a
lexus boys dnt seem to wanna give them up cheapily!!

70XIN
28th April 2011, 12:32 AM
Yeah there's a couple of them on ebay too - but for $1k - nah. lol.

Nikkojoe
28th April 2011, 02:09 AM
Cheapest one ive seen around as of late is $700 (left over from is>rs).

Delazy
28th April 2011, 09:30 AM
I paid $800 for mine with few other bits and pieces included...mines going behind my 3t in my ke70 for the moment...but will definitely pull it back out and run it in the ae86 when the time comes (if its not a pile of metal shards by then)

I can think of another box in melbourne atm for around the $700-800 mark...i can pass on contact details if required...